Author Topic: RTOS for beginners  (Read 2814 times)

Offline rakeshm55Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
RTOS for beginners
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:45:57 am »

Recently I tried Ti-RTOS online training videos....https://training.ti.com/ti-rtos-workshop-series-1-10-welcome....
 I have tried their labs too....
Is there any online literature available for a beginner to gain entry to the world of RTOS??... I have very limited embedded experience...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: RTOS for beginners
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:33:55 am »
Try to find the
Using the FreeRTOS Real Time Kernel - Standard Edition 2010
by Richard Barry

If i remember correctly you can find some free pdf for a specific processor (sponsored) online.

Ah here they are:
www.freertos.org/Documentation/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:35:34 am by Kjelt »

Offline ^_^

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 12:36:04 pm »
ThreadX in Renesas Synergy is click-and-configure type of RTOS.
It's easy to start if you want real world experience.
They have an online PDF describing it.

For more in-depth thing I'd suggest microC - a book about uC RTOS.
It describes RTOS operation itself in detail. If you know C then it's not a problem.

There was also an RTOS that won (?) 1kb hackaday challange not so long ago, you can check it out, very simplfied, great to start.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 01:20:47 pm »
Most RTOSs offer very similar functionality; learn one and it is easy to transfer the experience to another.

What is far more interesting is learning how to structure your design to ensure the operation is predictable, reliable, and easy to change as new requirements are uncovered. With hard realtime systems there are a whole class of problems (e.g. priority inversion, interrupts) that are completely unfamiliar to traditional software writers, but which will occur infrequently at the worst possible moment.

If you want to learn how to structure your thinking and design so as to avoid such problems, then take a look at the XMOS products. They have significant advantages such as a sound theoretical pedigree (CSP), cheap many core processors, FPGA-like i/o speeds, and a development environment that guarantees worst-case performance timing without executing the code. The starter kit costs only £12, and a pure software implementation can be a >10MHz frequency counter with 2 or more input channels.

Even if you don't use their products, you can use the design styles to improve your designs using conventional architectures.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf