Author Topic: Satronix brand solid state relays: any experience?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline nidlaXTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Satronix brand solid state relays: any experience?
« on: January 29, 2016, 12:26:21 am »
I'm considering using this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/141888710580) Satronix brand SSR for a mains switching application with anticipated 5 - 10 A, 120V resistive load. Has anyone done a teardown of this unit or used it for any application? Is there any reason to choose this over a F(os)aketek?

I'm not ruling out dropping $30 for a brand name SSR from Digikey, but it seems like the Faketek is even "good enough" if used conservatively.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
Re: Satronix brand solid state relays: any experience?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 02:11:17 am »
Hi

They look as good as any of the odd stuff on eBay.

Do note that his 40A rating is an inrush rating (short term load burst). The max resistive load rating on those 40A parts may only be 10 or 20A.
If you derate 3X or 5X from there, you really don't have much left. 

Bob

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 02:19:35 am »
Those (Fotek) ebay SSRs are not meeting even half of their specs, complete junk, often with an inferior insulation too.  At that price I would just but a triac and an optocoupler which for the same price (if not cheaper) would do the job reliably. Also ebay is full of counterfeit big brand SSRs.
Do note that his 40A rating is an inrush rating (short term load burst). The max resistive load rating on those 40A parts may only be 10 or 20A.
If you derate 3X or 5X from there, you really don't have much left. 
No, that is BS rating (if for fotek). Nothing to do with actual parameters. For normal normal SSRs this is continuous raring (with a heatsink).

This particular Satronix ssr might do the job. At least it have some actual (though Indian) manufacturer (if it is genuine).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:27:07 am by wraper »

Offline nidlaXTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 03:55:57 am »
At least it have some actual (though Indian) manufacturer (if it is genuine).
That's the only reason I even bother asking. Otherwise, I would just assume it's another Faketek. Checked out the company and there is evidence that their history of existence is legit (web archives show the site with the same products and claims back to 2005). That eBay seller is also the official NA distributor as listed on their website. The remaining question is that of its actual quality and performance.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 06:02:40 pm »
Hi

If you can trace the parts back to a licensed (term used loosely) distributor and a manufacturer, that's way better than the average buy on an auction site.

Heatsink them well and see how they do. Part of getting things at a low cost is taking at least some risk.

Bob

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf