Author Topic: Scope Loading?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline cswansonTopic starter

Scope Loading?
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:57:55 am »
I have a circuit (5V DC) that takes a 1 Hz sine wave at 800 mVpp and amplifies it to 4.46 Vpp with a DC bias that puts the lowest swing just above +80mV. This works great.

I send this output to a MCP3008 ADC which is an SPI slave to an Arduino Uno. The master does nothing more than query the MCP3008 for the current value and sends it to the serial output. (Note: I am powering the arduino with the 5V DC supply and it is connected to the computer USB for serial output. ) The output is an increasing and decreasing list of integers mapping to the voltage swing.

This works great as well...

as long as the scope probe is connected to the circuit's ground rail and the analog input pin of the MCP3008.

If I disconnect the probe, I get a constant output of 868 or 869 on the arduino's serial output.

The scope doesn't have to be on, but the probe must be connected to the scope. ( Scope is a Rigol DS2072A )

I measured the resistance (1.2MOhm) and capacitance (3.3 uF) of the probe and tried attaching passive components to the MCP3008 input channel and circuit ground but it had no noticeable effect.

What am I not considering?

Tac Eht Xilef

Re: Scope Loading?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 02:16:42 am »
Without seeing the actual circuit you've built, it's impossible to say.

I measured the resistance (1.2MOhm) and capacitance (3.3 uF) of the probe and tried attaching passive components to the MCP3008 input channel and circuit ground but it had no noticeable effect.

Again, without seeing the actual circuit that would've been the first thing I would've tried, but you've done it. But 3.3uF probe capacitance seems awful (as in "a few orders of magnitude") high...

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:33:03 am »
"The scope doesn't have to be on, but the probe must be connected to the scope."

Do you mean as long as the probes ground wire is connected, or as long as the probe tip is connected to your circuit.

I've seen the former a lot - broken ground path, never the latter.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 02:54:47 am »
@Tac Eht Xilef I was surprised too, I'll double check.

@ludzinc The probe must be connected to the circuit and plugged into the scope. If I disconnect the probe from the scope I get garbage.  Thanks for keeping me honest.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 03:16:49 am »
Also sounds to me that the scope's ground lead is establishing a common ground between the Arduino and your ADC. Without the scope probe, one of them is floating with respect to ground.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 04:33:05 am »
Cool.

I'm planning to integrate the atmega328 MCU onto the breadboard, and I am currently replacing the serial output with a 7 segment display.

So when I rid myself of the computer the problem should clear.

Thanks!

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:33:26 am »
Sounds like bad layout... pictures?  Schematic?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf