Author Topic: Scope trace assistance  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Lee697Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Scope trace assistance
« on: July 29, 2014, 03:40:04 am »
Hi all

I set up a current shunt in series with a fuse - the 3A fuse was a sacrificial one, testing in place of a rocket igniter (much cheaper!).
The shunt is 2A/50mV, and the switching is accomplished by a BUZ71 MOSFET.

The trace seems to show the fuse allowing about 14A to pass before blowing after 40ms. Actual igniters draw 7-11A, depending on the resistance of cabling hooked to them.

I did this a number of times with other fuses (1A though) - this was the only time the large spikes appeared at the ends of the trace like this - does anyone know what these are from?

This was hooked up to an Array 14.5A PSU - I wondered if it had something to do with current limiting by the PSU itself?

Thanks for any advice...

Lee

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Scope trace assistance
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 03:47:45 am »
Most likely wiring inductance generating a spike when the circuit opens.  If you have a few more fuses to burn, you might set trigger level below 0V, trig mode NORM or SINGLE, and time/div around a few microseconds.  It's probably even taller than you can see here, it just didn't happen to sample the very peak.  The spike will be more exaggerated in the voltage across the fuse or ignitor, whichever one causes the circuit to open.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Lee697Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Scope trace assistance
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 04:00:54 am »
Thanks - come to think of inductance - the shunt is coil like - I suppose that would contribute?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf