Author Topic: Security Camera Filter for IR  (Read 1788 times)

Offline OhmzillaTopic starter

• Contributor
Security Camera Filter for IR
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:51:27 am »
Ok first off I know this is off topic but this is my go-to forum for general electronics questions. I purchased a IR camera and set it up, the setup area is on a sundeck overlooking my driveway. Camera functions great except at night when the IR light on it turns. It bounces off the glass window surface and totally blinds the camera.

My question is are there any glass filters I can purchase that will allow the IR light to pass thru and not reflect? My other idea was to purchase a IR light for outside and throw a piece of electric tape over the one on the camera.

Thanks Guys! Cheers!  :popcorn:
"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'. So I installed LINUX..."

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: Security Camera Filter for IR
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 01:09:15 am »
Have you mounted the camera inside or outside ?, which glass is the IR reflecting off ?.

On most IR illuminated cameras the unit can be opened up and the incorporated IR array unplugged altogether, as most use an LDR to switch on the LEDs putting tape over it may cause the IRs to turn on in lower light conditions and make the problem even worse. The ideal scenario is to provide another light source for the camera by means of remotely located IR illumination or flood lights away from the camera itself.

Offline OhmzillaTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 01:17:24 am »
Thank you for the reply, it is sitting behind or (inside) a glass window, the glass window is what is reflecting the light back at the camera. I just was not sure if there was a material that I could place on the glass to allow the IR light to pass thru instead of bouncing back at the lens.

"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'. So I installed LINUX..."

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 01:25:07 am »
If possible move the camera outside otherwise disable the IRs and provide external lighting, you will probably still get reflected light into the camera lens when an internal light is turned on by having the camera mounted inside the glass so it's best to get the whole thing outside altogether.

Offline sam1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:27:23 pm »
To answer your question: the "filter" you asked should be a anti-reflection painted film or coating for IR wavelength, just similar to the painted-film on most camera lens.

Your problem shouldn't happen on a quality product as they should already use a glass with the film.

But even if you find the film, I think it's hard paint it by yourself. An easy way is to move the IR light outside.

How about use a sensitive camera that don't need IR? You'll enjoy the feeling of passive night-vision.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:42:46 pm by sam1275 »

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 08:36:02 pm »
Modern two pane windows have an extra coating on one (or both) of the inner surfaces to reflect IR light. So there is very little one can do from the outer surfaces. One could avoid the direct reflection by having the camera looking at an angle through the window.

So the only good solution would be moving the IR light outside. One might have to move the camera outside too, if the windows does not let enough IR light pass.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf