Author Topic: See through pcb  (Read 3371 times)

Offline psxpetey1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
See through pcb
« on: April 06, 2015, 12:29:54 am »
Ok so heres the deal. Ive aquired a developer android phone which has a few extra hardware features that the specific brand retail phones do not. So I was wondering if there is a way top see through the pcb without using an xray. The solder mask pretty much masks everything traces are all hidden. What methods do you useƉ Would A REALLY strong light work? Thanks in advance!

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Re: See through pcb
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 12:42:06 am »
Pretty sure it's not the solder mask that's masking anything, but copper. I'd assume pretty much any "smart" phone is made with HDI and therefore 99% of all traces are internal, power planes on the outside, blind plugged vias everywhere. There's no other way to build these things at that size.

You'd need nuclear explosion level visible light to get through that. But why not try? The board's probably really thin, I have a 650W GE lamp here and a PCB... might give it a try.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline psxpetey1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 04:28:00 am »
awe man:(

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:11:27 am »
Well, you could do...

Ultrasound density analysis
X-ray or gamma transmission, backscatter
Neutron transmission, scattering (note: elements will react, leaving residual radioactivity)
Other nuclear methods (beta?) probably not recommended due to the presence of sensitive electronics.  As-is, x-rays won't be too friendly towards Flash memory contents.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Cherry

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 06:55:05 am »
Maybe you can try again.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:06:12 am »
You'd need nuclear explosion level visible light to get through that. But why not try? The board's probably really thin, I have a 650W GE lamp here and a PCB... might give it a try.
Nope - even really thin sheets of copper make for a very effective visible light blockage. Add to that the random diffusion/scattering done by the FR4 (or similar) laminate, the very fine traces (assuming 6 mil or less), the number of layers (assuming 6 or more, two or more of which are solid copper planes) and you are 100% done with visible light for a non destructive analysis.

In your situation I believe X ray is the way to go - ask your local dentist or vet.

Also look at: http://hackaday.com/2015/03/05/deconstructing-pcbs/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:07:53 am by daqq »
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Cherry

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:45:44 am »
I also want to know details about PCB.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf