Author Topic: Select suitable components for a project  (Read 945 times)

Offline DhanushkaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Select suitable components for a project
« on: April 24, 2019, 03:16:00 pm »
When I am going to design a particular circuit what is the proper way to select suitable components? Searching on a search engine was not given better results for me every time.

For an example, when I design a DIY function generator, I can design this making simple waveform generators as shown in basic electronic textbooks. But I can make better one designing this using available ICs/modules such as AD9834. But the problem is how can I find almost all the ICs/modules available? Also, Is there a proper way to do this?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:18:05 pm by Dhanushka »

Offline David Cutcher CEG

• Contributor
Re: Select suitable components for a project
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:05:45 pm »
There is no single proper way. There's always different paths to the top of that peak. That's why we talk and share.
You don't limit your intentions to just a function generator, but that's the example I'll follow with.
For myself, I would make basic prototype for proof of concept.   I'd use a 555 as the base for a function generator, starting with square wave. Then use an RC to change the shape to saw tooth. Then try to smooth the saw tooth. And Play some more. Whether I use an expensive or cheap  555 doesn't matter to me at the very beginning. Would depend on what I have at hand.
In my opinion,The quality of components is important in the long run. But prototyping is proof of concept.
Get the prototypes to work with industry standards. 

David Cutcher "Certified Evil Genius"

The following users thanked this post: Dhanushka

Offline MadScientist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:09:49 pm »
When I am going to design a particular circuit what is the proper way to select suitable components? Searching on a search engine was not given better results for me every time.

For an example, when I design a DIY function generator, I can design this making simple waveform generators as shown in basic electronic textbooks. But I can make better one designing this using available ICs/modules such as AD9834. But the problem is how can I find almost all the ICs/modules available? Also, Is there a proper way to do this?

Thank you.

There is no easy way to research all available ics for a given function. The closest is using the search functions of major distributors like digikey or mouser

After that it’s down to experience and staying abreast with new ic releases etc. a forum like this is very useful as you’ll get a cross section of people using different solutions /ICs to achieve the same thing

In real life cost , availability etc , determine a lot of component selections , but in prototypes you largely just want the circuit to work somewhat irrespective to the exact makeup of the circuit
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 01:03:26 am »
Work backwards !! What do you want to achieve FIRST ! ie Freq range, duty cycle, levels, rate, sweep?, min, max etc etc THEN you can plan on HOW to do it.
You'll find that once you set your goal, options like using a simple 555 may be totally unusable, you may even need to go to a simple micro.
In days gone past, I've made up several Functions generators eg, some based on the "latest" function generator ICs (back then), and some on building
blocks of linear / digital modules, then finally to a micro. 101 ways to skin a cat :-)
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline hsn93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 01:03:35 pm »
usually i open digikey put my parameters and choose the largest available stock because i think its being ordered too much from others  ;D and it comes usually with good price i just think its a shortcut.
-------------------------------------

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 02:19:41 pm »
what you want to do? function generator? google "function generator circuit" and then study all components needed. now you found AD9834, what the datasheet title says? thats right! google "DDS chip" or "DDS ic", now you have good materials enough for couple of years of study.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 05:01:17 pm »
what you want to do? function generator? google "function generator circuit" and then study all components needed. now you found AD9834, what the datasheet title says? thats right! google "DDS chip" or "DDS ic", now you have good materials enough for couple of years of study.

Absolutely right!

All of human knowledge is available from a Google search.  Sometimes the search terms need to be refined.

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf