Author Topic: setpper motor  (Read 3050 times)

Offline abdullahsebaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
setpper motor
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:32:05 am »
is there a stepper motor controller that has a switch for making the motor going forwards & backwards without using any programing
This is my right hand this is my wrong hand

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: setpper motor
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:41:59 am »
You mean you want a forward / reverse pin ? yes I think they do many of them. The pin can be brought high or low by am MCU or a simple switch.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:44:35 am »
Most stepper motor drivers have  STEP, ENABLE and DIRECTION lines as input.
More detail of your intended application may help.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 01:24:02 pm »
Stepper motors are typically used when positioning is needed. If you only need to spin motor forwards and backwards, perhaps you should pick a normal DC motor?

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline Witention

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:47 am »
I assume that the stepper motor has gears that reduce the 45 degree movement of the armature to only 1.8 degrees of movement on the drive shaft.The gear down ratio is 25 to 1, amplifying the drive force between 20-25 times - including friction loss. Am I correct??

Offline tjb1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:18:50 am »
I assume that the stepper motor has gears that reduce the 45 degree movement of the armature to only 1.8 degrees of movement on the drive shaft.The gear down ratio is 25 to 1, amplifying the drive force between 20-25 times - including friction loss. Am I correct??

No, they work with magnetics.

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:00:11 pm »
Like tjb1 stated - no gearbox. The most common type i.e. variable reluctance motor has both rotor and stator equipped with protruding square teeth (looknig along the motor axis). The number of teeth is different such that when one phase the stator coils are energized, say A, some teeth align providing a minimum reluctance magnetic path through the rotor. When the next phase B is then energized, a successive set of teeth is puuled into alignment causing torque on the motor shaft. Next reverse energize A and you get the next step and so on and so on. The number of teeth is cleverly calculated to provide just the desired angular displacement per step.
Read alla bout it here: http://www.pcbheaven.com/wikipages/How_Stepper_Motors_Work/?p=0
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 12:42:42 pm »

What you are referring to is called 'a servo'. It's typically a motor with a gearbox, an encoder and a position controller. Type of controller and motor vary. RC servos typically swing within limited range and are driven by pulse train with constant frequency and variable on-time. Industrial servos can typically spin around like a normal motor and they utilze wide variety of motors: DC, AC, brushless. Other types too, but more rarely.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf