Author Topic: Sharp XR-30X Projector Lamp Explodes  (Read 8105 times)

Offline movinupTopic starter

Sharp XR-30X Projector Lamp Explodes
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:19:13 am »
My Projector exploded with a loud pop and smoke. I removed the Projector lamp and discovered broken glass. Does anyone know if this is common and can I simply buy another replacement. I am not experienced but I will learn if I have to take the rest of the thing apart! I could use some advise...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:22:35 am by movinup »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Sharp XR-30X Projector Lamp Explodes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:29:23 am »
Yeah, projector lamps do explode sometimes.

The manufactures try to underestimate the lifespan so the lamps get replaced before it happens but there's always a risk with metal-halide lamps. (Also people sometimes reset the hour counter to get more life out of an old lamp)

If the explosion didn't cause other damage then a new lamp should work.
You will need to clean out all the bits of exploded lamp first.
Might pay to check if broken metal halide lamps are dangerous to handle before attempting the cleanup.

The people over at AVS forum will know more about it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:32:48 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:06:55 am »
When you replace the lamp, it is vital there are no finger prints or any greasy marks on the glass envelope. Any such marks will dramatically increase the probability of the bulb exploding. You can clean the glass with a lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol and then be really careful not to touch the glass with your fingers when you install it.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:28:16 am »
I wouldn't clean a brand new lamp unless you have a reason too.
They're supposed to come clean out of the box.

But yeah, if you accidentally touch it or notice someone else has then it definitely needs to be cleaned.

Make sure the lint free cloth is clean itself or you may make the problem worse.

Offline hacklordsniper

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:29:33 am »
Was it refurbished lamp?
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 02:33:22 pm »
I thank everyone for taking the time to post. I do believe I touched the lens cover and after reading up I have been pushing the unit too hard. I will respect its limitations from now own. This experience has opened my eyes to the special needs of electronic devices. I was ignorant of the facts and realize I abuse ALL my devices!  Will have to keep learning.
I found a site with high marks that manufactures their own replacement lamps. Would save over $200. Is it an absolute that I have to buy the manufacturers own brand or do some of these manufactures get it right?

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 05:39:49 am »
i wouldn't hesitate to purchase a non-oem lamp.... by the time you buy the oem, you could almost purchase a brand new projector! plus, projectors aren't really known for their high reliability.... they often get mounted to the ceiling and forgotten about until the dust bunnies move in and cause something to overheat & crap out.

if it were me, i would likely purchase a lamp from one of the high volume eBay sellers. they have a level of accountability through the feedback system and you have some protection against duds through eBay and paypal. some sellers even offer 3 or 6 month, etc warranties. if the bulb has a flaw, they usually show up during this period.

now is a good time to do a thorough cleaning if needed. get you a box of kimwipes and a couple pairs of exam gloves. remove the lid, remove the optics paying close attention to where everything goes, then take it outside and hose it out with compressed air. clean & replace the optics. the color wheel is a little fragile so take care if it needs wiping down. a drop of oil in the motor bearing is good idea if the bearing is accessible.

a few more tips.... run the lamp on the lowest brightness setting for the longest bulb life. don't block the vents. check for dust bunnies on occasion. don't unplug the projector until it has finished its cool down routine. good luck!
-sj

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 05:47:15 am »
Ya should run it at high power for a few hours when you first get it.  Low power right out of the box can cause the lap to develop a flickering problem.
Running the lamp in at high power for a while helps stop this from happening.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 05:51:06 am »
The main reason for buying the manufacturers lamp is you know the frequencies of the R, G and B colors from the lamps match the filters in the projector. The cheap alternatives may have an identical emission spectrum, but you just do not know. The lamp is one of the critical components in the correct color rendering.

So if you buy a cheap replacement, there is a risk the color will not be as good. There are also reports of people who have had the first lamp last for several years, and then find the replacement lamp for the 30X that they have bought starts to go bad after 100 hours. The cheap lamp may be no bargain.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:00:07 am by amspire »

Offline SoftwareSamurai

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:26:54 pm »
I work with projectors a lot, and yes the lamps explode occasionally. Kinna scary and smelly, but usually not a big deal. And from what I can tell, the ones that do explode usually do so rather randomly as long as they're installed correctly, no fingerprints, etc. (At least, I've never detected a pattern to them.)

I always keep a spare lamp right next to my home projector. Lately I've been replacing the lamp right as it starts to show the typical signs - gets noticeably dimmer, the temp report goes up, etc. - so I haven't had any of them explode at home. You just have to keep a keen eye on it. Oh, and I also run my projector's lamp at the lowest brightness, and turn the fan up a notch. That seems to extend the lamp's life as well.

Personally I can't wait until the 1080p LED projectors hit the market. I'd also like to see a short-throw LASER projector come out with a reasonable price. That would be the best!

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 06:38:14 pm »
I will clean out the projector as described. Thanks for explaining the maintenance procedure.  I did notice the "dimming" before it exploded so seems to fit everyone's experience with this issue.

I think I will order the cheaper lamp for two reasons:

1) The company I would order from had a good rating. The color issue was mentioned by a customer posting and this company had sent a replacement bulb that did work.

2) Just in case the projector itself could possibly be damaged. If I use the cheaper lamp to test the unit and it is not the quality I want,  then I will watch a lesser quality image until time to re-order another lamp. If the projector is damaged, I have lost less money.

I use the projector to watch TV, etc in my bed. I devised a rack that holds the unit in upright position and allows all sides to ventilate. I have a health issue and have to lie face up staring at the ceiling for long periods of time. I keep my projector on all night and some times all day when I'm stuck in "resting" mode, so it gets a lot of use.

This Sharp projector has really been awesome!  The image has been amazing. I so hope it comes back to life. After this time of only "hearing" TV and guessing what is happening, I will really appreciate having the projector once it's fixed! I will also take better care to do maintenance and not try to force it back on when it goes into rest mode etc. I also want to use the HD paint on the ceiling one day.

Thanks to all for helping a complete "newbie" make a decision

Offline SoftwareSamurai

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:33:56 pm »
Just a thought: If the throw distance is fairly short (so the brightness doesn't need to be all that high), you might consider switching to an LED lamp projector, such as the Casio XJ-A130.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 12:32:23 am »
you might consider switching to an LED lamp projector, such as the Casio XJ-A130.

Just don't tell any laser enthusiasts you have one of those projectors.
They're a hybrid LED and LASER projector and contain 24x  1000mW 445nm blue laser diodes!

Or else you'll come home and find your projector no longer has 24 of them :P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:34:17 am by Psi »

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 05:02:54 am »
Is the LED better for constant extended use ? For my set up the distance to throw the image is about 10 feet.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:56 am »
Is the LED better for constant extended use ? For my set up the distance to throw the image is about 10 feet.

The Casio XJ-A130 is 2000 ANSI lumens and the led/lasers last for 20,000 Hours (According to specs)

A normal projector has a lamp life of 2000-3000 Hours

So yeah, much longer life.

With a 20,000 hour lifespan you can have it on for 5.4 hours a day for ~10 years :D
At 5 hours a day a normal projector lamp will only last ~1.6 years.

Although, the XJ-A130 hasn't really existed for long enough to test the 20,000 hour figure.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:25:16 am by Psi »

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 08:41:20 am »
New lamp arrived, I cleaned the projector, removed the broken glass, installed the new lamp and I am back in business! Image is great and only time will tell if using a cheaper manufactured replacement will last very long.  Thanks to all who helped me make the decision.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 03:48:04 pm »
I also discovered I had previously been running on low fan. Now it is on high and the unit is a lot cooler. It used to heat the room!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf