Author Topic: Signal generator choice  (Read 12029 times)

Offline SekkaiTopic starter

• Contributor
Signal generator choice
« on: August 19, 2018, 11:17:28 pm »
What is a good choice of signal generator?

On other EEVBlog site I see: Siglent SDG1025 Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator, 25MHz, 125MSa/s Sample Rate

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GQNNVH4/

But much older post. Is this still good? Do you think another product is better?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Signal generator choice
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:22:59 pm »

On other EEVBlog site I see: Siglent SDG1025 Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generator, 25MHz, 125MSa/s Sample Rate

But much older post. Is this still good? Do you think another product is better?

First you must answer the question "good for what?".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 11:25:26 pm »
First you must answer the question "good for what?".
And what are your limitations. With a million dollar you can get a very nice AWG, but my guess is that you don't have that much to spend.

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 11:42:26 pm »
I'm considering the fy6800 with a lot of futures and decent specs for less than half than any other with similar futures, but there are a ton of problems reports and feeltech not beong to helpful about it.

Then I'd like to know what there is out there, I'm particularly interested in dual chanel, pc control, not too fuzzy about bw... What are your requirements?

JS

If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 11:44:14 pm »

Well I have a used Agilent 8648A which is a great signal generator for RF testing & repair ... but like the other valued members said - what do you want to do with one?  :-//

That's the real question.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 12:44:23 am »
Signal generator, like for a project testing such as this: and debug and learn about audio, radio, analog, blinking LEDs, op-amps, oscillators, converters (analog to digital), testing circuits.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 01:00:18 am »

A better choice is the more modern SDG1032X or if your budget allows SDG2042X.
I updated my personal SDG1010 to a 1032X.

Why ?
2 equal spec channels.
More advanced capabilities.

But as always there's gotchas:
Check the datasheets of each for sine and square wave specs....look closely.  ;)
Also sampling rate, vertical resolution and memory depth.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:40:21 am »
Check the datasheets of each for sine and square wave specs....look closely.  ;)

What is the meaning?

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:45:29 am »

What is the meaning?
I think he is telling you to go for both datasheets and find the trap, he's even pointing whereyou should look... Good exercise, perfect if you are trying to choose one so you can distinguish limitations for yourself

JS

If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 01:55:07 am »
A better choice is the more modern SDG1032X or if your budget allows SDG2042X.
I updated my personal SDG1010 to a 1032X.

Why ?
2 equal spec channels.
More advanced capabilities.

Also sampling rate, vertical resolution and memory depth.
You're recommending Siglents? That's surprising, I thought you'd go for Rigol.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 02:01:54 am »
SDG1010 has sine and square frequency 1 muHz ~ 10 MHz

SDG1032X has sine and square frequency 1 muHz ~ 30 MHz

Why trap?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 02:17:09 am »

What is the meaning?
I think he is telling you to go for both datasheets and find the trap, he's even pointing whereyou should look... Good exercise, perfect if you are trying to choose one so you can distinguish limitations for yourself

JS
Exactly that JS.  :clap:
Not everyone likes or needs to be spoon fed.  :)

To be clear, even though I can stock and sell any of the models of Siglent's various ranges I take the time to research and test those that will offer the best bang for buck. There's many I don't and/or won't stock !
I'm not just some retail shop that will sell anything I can, instead I carefully examine the capabilities of equipment so I know and can give professional recommendations.
Do Siglent offer the best equipment, no but at many price points they are extremely competitive WRT specification, capability and reliability.

Don't want to hear from me again, well study and understand datasheets !
Or ask for advice.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 02:34:39 am »
Signal generator, like for a project testing such as this ...

Function generator - right. Well if you have the bucks like $300 - $400 check the specs and get a nice one like Siglent or Rigol or other brand in that price range. I say if you have the bucks and are willing to spend it you will like a nice piece of gear. I hate trying to use chincy cheap junky test equipment.  :--
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 02:43:55 am »
tautech is there really a "trap" or are you trying to advertise??

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 03:50:10 am »
tautech is there really a "trap" or are you trying to advertise??
Study the datasheets for sampling rate, vertical resolution and memory depth spec between the SDG1025 that you were initially looking at and the 1032X and 2042X I suggested.

I don't really care what you buy, all I care about is you making a fully informed decision.

After some study come back and tell us of your preference and why.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 04:19:19 am »
Study the datasheets for sampling rate, vertical resolution and memory depth spec between the SDG1025 that you were initially looking at and the 1032X and 2042X I suggested.

I don't really care what you buy, all I care about is you making a fully informed decision.

SDG1025: Sample rate 125 MSa/s, vertical resolution 14 bits, 16k points of memory depth / waveform length

SDG1032X: Sample rate 150 MSa/s, vertical resolution 14 bits, 16k points of memory depth / waveform length

SDG2042X: Sample rate 1.2 GSa/s, vertical resolution 16 bits, 8M points of memory depth / waveform length

I still do not see why this is a "trap"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:25:27 am by Sekkai »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 04:36:05 am »

SDG1025: Sample rate 125 MSa/s, vertical resolution 14 bits, 16k points of memory depth / waveform length

SDG1032X: Sample rate 150 MSa/s, vertical resolution 14 bits, 16k points of memory depth / waveform length

SDG2042X: Sample rate 1.2 GSa/s, vertical resolution 16 bits, ...

I still do not see why this is a "trap"
It can be but that's entirely dependent on your needs of:
Arb wavelength and signal fidelity.

If you you have high expectations select SDG2042X
Ordinary usage requirements, SDG1032X.

But you may have missed sine vs square wave spec of which only SDG10*2X do both sine and square to max frequency.
Then to complicate your decision more, both the X models can apparently be 'improved' beyond their rated BW but as a distributor I'm not supposed to know anything about that.  ;)
Check respective threads about 'improvements' for these X models.

* SDG1032X or 1062X models.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 04:45:07 am »
I filled in memory depth for last one, was still editing post

It can be but that's entirely dependent on your needs of:
Arb wavelength and signal fidelity.

If you you have high expectations select SDG2042X
Ordinary usage requirements, SDG1032X.

But you may have missed sine vs square wave spec of which only SDG10*2X do both sine and square to max frequency.
Then to complicate your decision more, both the X models can apparently be 'improved' beyond their rated BW but as a distributor I'm not supposed to know anything about that.  ;)
Check respective threads about 'improvements' for these X models.

* SDG1032X or 1062X models.

Maybe it is my difficulty with English, but I am having a very very hard time understanding what you are trying to say.

Where is this "max frequency" problem?

SDG1025 has sine and square frequency range 1 uHz - 25 MHz.

SDG1032X has sine and square frequency range 1 uHz - 30 MHz.

SDG2042X has sine frequency 1 uHz - 120 MHz, and square frequency range 1 uHz - 25 MHz.

The SDG2042X max frequency for sine quite high, but lower for square, compared to SDG1032X, and same as SDG1025?

The SDG1025 says max frequency is 25 MHz, both sine and square match that max.

Max for SDG1032X is 30 MHz, both sine and square match that max. (So why do you say only SDG10*2X does it?)

Max for SDG2042X is 40MHz, somehow sine is above this, square is below this. I believe this is what you point to as "trap"?

Why did you ask to look up sample rate, vertical resolution, memory depth?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 05:27:02 am »
Good, you have picked out most differences but made one error.
SDG2042X max frequency is 40 MHz, only an 'improved' one and SDS2122X can do 120 MHz.
SDG10*2X = 1032X or 1062X.

The higher sampling rates and resolution allow for better signal fidelity, that may or not be of importance to you.
Likewise memory depth may not be a concern but greater allows for more complex and larger arbitrary waveforms to be created.

Have you seen the output channel differences between for SDG1025 vs later X models ?
Also X models have a LAN port, previous models not, again that may not matter for you.

When you have considered all the small differences then you can make a good decision for your needs.
SDG1025 $319 vs SDG1032X $359, for $40 difference SDG1032X is much better and more modern instrument.

Your money, your choice.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 05:31:28 am »
SDG2042X max frequency is 40 MHz, only an 'improved' one and SDS2122X can do 120 MHz.

The higher sampling rates and resolution allow for better signal fidelity, that may or not be of importance to you.
Likewise memory depth may not be a concern but greater allows for more complex and larger arbitrary waveforms to be created.

Have you seen the output channel differences between for SDG1025 vs later X models ?
Also X models have a LAN port, previous models not, again that may not matter for you.

When you have considered all the small differences then you can make a good decision for your needs.
SDG1025 $319 vs SDG1032X $359, for $40 difference SDG1032X is much better and more modern instrument.

I am using the figure on page 7 of this datasheet for the SDG2042X https://mediacdn.eu/mage/media/downloads/SDG2000X_DataSheet.pdf where it mentions max sine frequency 120 MHz relating to SDG2042X, no? I only see this number for sine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:33:23 am by Sekkai »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 05:38:58 am »

I am using the figure on page 7 of this datasheet for the SDG2042X https://mediacdn.eu/mage/media/downloads/SDG2000X_DataSheet.pdf where it mentions max sine frequency 120 MHz relating to SDG2042X, no? I only see this number for sine.
120 MHz is the max frequency the top model of the SDG2000X series only SDG2122X or 'improved' units are capable of 120 MHz.
See P3 for the factory spec for each model in the series.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 05:40:46 am »
120 MHz is the max frequency the top model of the SDG2000X series only SDG2122X or 'improved' units are capable of 120 MHz.

Yes I do see that, but where does it show SDG2042X sine / square frequency if those numbers on page 7 are only for SDG2122X? It shows sine at 120M and on the same page, square at 25M. I find this extremely confusing. Where do I see that SDG2042X sine is under max?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:42:41 am by Sekkai »

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 05:51:28 am »
If I understand you, you're saying for a little more money, SDG1032X (or the SDG2042X if I want something better than SDG1032X) are much better picks than the SDG1025, but there are "traps" / "gotchas" with things like SDG2042X because sine/square don't output at max frequency. Normally would expect 40 MHz for both, but instead they are doing like 25 MHz?

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 05:51:52 am »
If you go for the Siglent, checkout Saelig Electronics and get their EEVBlog discount.
   http://www.saelig.com/sdg1000-x-series/FGDG013.htm

If you decide on one of the Rigol's, tEquipment has an EEVBlog discount also.
   https://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DG1022Z/Function-Generator/?v=7380

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 06:05:11 am »

Yes I do see that, but where does it show SDG2042X sine / square frequency if those numbers on page 7 are only for SDG2122X? It shows sine at 120M and on the same page, square at 25M. I find this extremely confusing. Where do I see that SDG2042X sine is under max?
Yes, I can how see this might be confusing.
AWG's, function generators and other equipment are specified by maximum sine wave frequency and sine wave spec is the industry standard for BW capability.
So the frequency listed for each model is just and only the max sine wave capability.
Hope that helps with understanding.  :)
If I understand you, you're saying for a little more money, SDG1032X (or the SDG2042X if I want something better than SDG1032X) are much better picks than the SDG1025, but there are "traps" / "gotchas" with things like SDG2042X because sine/square don't output at max frequency. Normally would expect 40 MHz for both, but instead they are doing like 25 MHz?
Yes you have a grasp on what I was trying to point out. The differences become more apparent with higher BW models.
Say SDG2082X, 80 MHz sine but only still 25 MHz square.
That's just one of the gotchas/traps and they are all through the industry if you don't understand or study the datasheets carefully.

Say we look at the top of the Siglent range, SDG6052X, 500 MHz with 20V p-p outputs but at the high frequencies and because of design/circuit limitations they can only output 1.28V p-p above 350 MHz and this is good by industry standards.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Sekkai

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf