Author Topic: Simple circuit (How is it working)?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline BRetonDPTopic starter

• Contributor
Simple circuit (How is it working)?
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:21:29 am »
Hello everyone!
Even though I think I understand how they work, I don't have a lot of experience with transistors (let alone PNP). This little circuit is supposed to make the two LED's blink in an alternating pattern, but I can't get my head around 'why' this is happening. Would someone be kind enough to briefly explain the current flow in this the schematic to me?

The circuit belongs to a MAKE Magazine video.

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
Re: Simple circuit (How is it working)?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:54:09 am »
Perhaps with the circuit redrawn it makes more sense:

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:24:36 am »
It's an astable multivibrator. Good explanation on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivibrator#Astable_multivibrator The concept is the same with PNP and NPN transistors.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:48:31 am »
There's a small caveat to applying standard circuit analysis here.

If you assume all the parts are ideal, when you apply power, NOTHING happens.  Indeed if you try to simulate it in spice, it will fail to oscillate.

In real life there are small differences that will allow one side to charge slightly faster than the other and the circuit will soon oscillate. 

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:01:45 am »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:09:08 am »
In real life there are small differences that will allow one side to charge slightly faster than the other and the circuit will soon oscillate.

This circuit is prone to lock-up (both transistors staying on) if the supply voltage initially ramps up slow enough.

And a common design error is to not realise that the b-e junctions of the transistors will be alternately reverse biased by almost the full supply voltage when the circuit is oscillating. Most small-signal transistors can tollerate -5V Vb-e max. Zenering the b-e junctions in the long term causes irreversable damage (hfe degredation) to the transistors. The simplest fix is to put a 1N914 in series with each emitter.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:11:16 am by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 01:10:29 am »
Thank you for your responses :)

While I understand the concept, I'm having problems, as FrankBuss stated, understanding why this circuit doesn't saturate both transistors and always stays on. That's why I wanted to know the current flow. Is it only because of a physical characteristic of the circuit, then? No deeper science? :P

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 01:12:59 am »
And a common design error is to not realise that the b-e junctions of the transistors will be alternately reverse biased by almost the full supply voltage when the circuit is oscillating.

Also, what does it mean to be reverse biased?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf