Author Topic: Simple sine wave generator  (Read 11049 times)

Offline rafalpilat0077Topic starter

• Contributor
Simple sine wave generator
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:44:41 pm »
Hi, i am a beginer and new to this forum.
I want to generate a sine wave (or square wave)  and connect is to a speaker to make an anoying noise. It would also be good is i could change the frequency using a potentiometer. What would be the simplest way to do that?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Simple sine wave generator
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:48:46 pm »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:50:21 pm »
A square wave is going to sound way more annoying than a sine. It's all about the higher harmonics. :)
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:40:18 am »
Isnt the 555 timer limited to a low frequency

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:46:29 am »
Isnt the 555 timer limited to a low frequency
Yes, but audio is low frequency.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 12:48:31 am »
About how high could the 555 timer go in frequency?

I am looking to make the noise like 4-8khz

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:51:15 am »

No problem. 555s can go well above the audible frequency range.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:53:03 am »

I think any 555 can handle 100kHz, probably 200kHz, even chinese sourced ones.  Some datasheets specify anywhere up to 2MHz as the maximum.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:54:34 am »
Yes. I tought its a maximum of 100hz becouse i looked at it on digikey. Rechecked it and it apparently is 100Khz not 100hz.
Epic fail  :palm:

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 12:59:43 am »
Anyways , thanks for the help

Offline dentaku

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 02:26:33 am »
The words to search for would be "555 Astable multivibrator"
The Wikipedia page for the 555 timer has the schematic for it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

Replace the 2 resistors with 10K potentiometers and use a small capacitor like 0.1uF or 1uF then turn the potentiometers to change the frequency.
There's a ridiculous amount of little things you can make with a 555 or 556 you can buy at Radio Shack.
http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/555/555.html

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 02:30:39 am »
I want to generate a sine wave (or square wave)  and connect is to a speaker to make an anoying noise. It would also be good is i could change the frequency using a potentiometer. What would be the simplest way to do that?

I will cover a good range of frequencies and have adjustable amplitude to boot.

Good luck and have fun...

Since you are a beginner, and OK with square wave sound, I know this circuit is easy for beginner.  I made this one as my first project when I first (return to) play with EE.

The attached schematic came from the TI datasheet.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 03:19:53 am »

If you have an Android phone, you can use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tronotech.waveformgeneratorlite&hl=en

It can also do frequency sweeping which is even more annoying.

Offline rodcastler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 03:34:52 am »
go for the real deal and google "atari punk console". two 555 or one 556 and you'll end up with a sweet sound generating machine you can build in 30 minutes.

Offline noisebox

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 07:20:29 am »
Hi, I've just signed up to this forum and I see a topic close to my heart, making a noise through a speaker!!  :-+

The 555 was the first circuit I learned and once I had that nailed I found myself getting into electronics, I'm still very much a beginner but these are great simple circuits to learn, and fun (and I love noise!)

I found the 555 quite limiting though as you won't get a true 50% square wave as the pulse width depends on the ratio of the two resistors across pins 6-7 and 7-8 (I think?!?!) you can end up getting a very nasly thin pulse sound if you are using a variable resistor to adjust one of these....what I discovered was the world of CMOS and the simplest oscillator ever, a true 50% square wave (to my ears anyway) using the 40106 schmitt hex inverter. The beaty of this is you can create six oscillators on one chip (mix them together or use one to modulate another, like a siren sound etc)...all you need is a battery, a 40106, a capacitor and a variable resistor (pot). The output is hot (ie. same as your power source) so you may want to reduce the output with resistors, but the chip can't drive a speaker itself (unlike the 555 which can drive a small speaker) so its best to plug it into some sort of amplifier, of course you can build one as well with an LM386 and a small amount of components (these will kill a battery very quick).

Not sure on forum rules for posting links to other sites but if it's ok, here are some links to what I'm on about that should help you.

The best bet really is to have a look at Nicolas Collins Hardware Hacking Manual, this has a load of CMOS circuits and good beginner electronic stuff, but the section on "worlds simplest oscillator" (page 64) will be what you are after!!

http://www.nicolascollins.com/texts/originalhackingmanual.pdf

LM386 schematic for driving a speaker can be found here....this site also has a lot of schematics for building noise boxes using CMOS chips!
http://www.beavisaudio.com/library/LM386/LM386.htm
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:24:16 am by noisebox »

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 10:04:21 am »

I will cover a good range of frequencies and have adjustable amplitude to boot.

Good luck and have fun...

I think i will use a 555 timer. But i will keep that ic in mind.Might use it some day

Since you are a beginner, and OK with square wave sound, I know this circuit is easy for beginner.  I made this one as my first project when I first (return to) play with EE.

The attached schematic came from the TI datasheet.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 10:05:58 am »

If you have an Android phone, you can use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tronotech.waveformgeneratorlite&hl=en

It can also do frequency sweeping which is even more annoying.

Hmm...
I dont have an android phone. Maby there is similar aps in IOS.
Again, this is not suitable for what im doing becouse i want to make it small and cheep. Not use my phone.
But thanks for the help

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 10:07:51 am »
go for the real deal and google "atari punk console". two 555 or one 556 and you'll end up with a sweet sound generating machine you can build in 30 minutes.

I wanted somethink small and cheep. Not a large project like that. Hovewer thanks for showing me that becouse ill probably make one.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 10:12:27 am »
Hi, I've just signed up to this forum and I see a topic close to my heart, making a noise through a speaker!!  :-+

The 555 was the first circuit I learned and once I had that nailed I found myself getting into electronics, I'm still very much a beginner but these are great simple circuits to learn, and fun (and I love noise!)

I found the 555 quite limiting though as you won't get a true 50% square wave as the pulse width depends on the ratio of the two resistors across pins 6-7 and 7-8 (I think?!?!) you can end up getting a very nasly thin pulse sound if you are using a variable resistor to adjust one of these....what I discovered was the world of CMOS and the simplest oscillator ever, a true 50% square wave (to my ears anyway) using the 40106 schmitt hex inverter. The beaty of this is you can create six oscillators on one chip (mix them together or use one to modulate another, like a siren sound etc)...all you need is a battery, a 40106, a capacitor and a variable resistor (pot). The output is hot (ie. same as your power source) so you may want to reduce the output with resistors, but the chip can't drive a speaker itself (unlike the 555 which can drive a small speaker) so its best to plug it into some sort of amplifier, of course you can build one as well with an LM386 and a small amount of components (these will kill a battery very quick).

Not sure on forum rules for posting links to other sites but if it's ok, here are some links to what I'm on about that should help you.

The best bet really is to have a look at Nicolas Collins Hardware Hacking Manual, this has a load of CMOS circuits and good beginner electronic stuff, but the section on "worlds simplest oscillator" (page 64) will be what you are after!!

http://www.nicolascollins.com/texts/originalhackingmanual.pdf

LM386 schematic for driving a speaker can be found here....this site also has a lot of schematics for building noise boxes using CMOS chips!
http://www.beavisaudio.com/library/LM386/LM386.htm

That is a lot of information i will have to consider.
I think the 555 timer would be good as a start.
Thx for the help

Offline dentaku

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 04:03:26 am »
This post inspired me to go looking for more ways of making squarewaves again. Lately I've been messing with a voltage controlled SAW wave oscillator but tonight I had fun messing with square waves again.
I decided to finally use those 4000 series CMOS chips I've never used for anything before.
The "Clock Pulse Generator" from this site is the simplest square wave generator I've ever built. http://coolcircuit.com/circuit/4049/index.html
Replace the 100K resistor with a potentiometer and you can vary the frequency.

Offline Fabiusp98

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »
Another option would be a Schmitt trigger based oscillator, with this you can go up in frequency quite a lot, and it's easy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmitt_trigger
http://talkingelectronics.com/pay/BEC-2/Page49.html

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 05:29:33 pm »
This should be easy to implement with some CMOS gates for an oscillator and an H-bridge IC to make it very loud.

Offline dentaku

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 02:07:36 am »
After posting my last message I just happened to find a 74c14 Hex Shmitt Trigger from a dead UPS so I unsoldered it any yes it IS the simplest square wave generator yet :)

I just built 3 oscillators with 3 separate pots out of half a 74C14 and mixed the outputs together. You get all kinds of weird sounds.

Offline noisebox

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 11:51:27 am »
Mix the outputs together with diodes, things get interesting! You can also cross modulate the osciallators using diodes for some alien noises, or siren sounds if you have one in LFO frequency. Run the output into a 4040 and you can generate sub octaves....

There is a particular sound I like when i "starve" the oscillator chip of voltage (ie. putting a pot between the 9v battery and the power pin, as a voltage divider), but I'm not sure, this may be bad for the chips?

Replacing the pots with LDR's can produce some great effects, tape an LED to an LDR to create a vactrol, and use one oscillator to blind the LED, use some caps to create a lag and you can create a good siren sound....

Offline dentaku

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 01:36:54 pm »
I like the way you think :) The diode thing was the next step was going to take.
Quite a while ago I made my own Vactrol without knowing people actually did that.

Now I wish I had a 4040.

Mix the outputs together with diodes, things get interesting! You can also cross modulate the osciallators using diodes for some alien noises, or siren sounds if you have one in LFO frequency. Run the output into a 4040 and you can generate sub octaves....

There is a particular sound I like when i "starve" the oscillator chip of voltage (ie. putting a pot between the 9v battery and the power pin, as a voltage divider), but I'm not sure, this may be bad for the chips?

Replacing the pots with LDR's can produce some great effects, tape an LED to an LDR to create a vactrol, and use one oscillator to blind the LED, use some caps to create a lag and you can create a good siren sound....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf