Author Topic: Slide Switches AC/DC current rating question  (Read 2572 times)

Offline SebGTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Currently looking for an EE Job
Slide Switches AC/DC current rating question
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:15:00 am »
For a project I'm working on I need a slide switch to select between two current paths. (Max 2.5 Amps DC)
Most switches I find are rated for 4 or 6 Amps at 125 VAC but only like 0.5A at DC.
Why is that? 

If I use such a switch in my project what kind of things would the the effect of passing high DC Current through the switch?
The contact look sufficient to conduct such a current but i don't understand why they have such a low DC rating and high AC rating.
The DC voltage maximum would be 20V and the switches would be positioned before current begins to flow, most of the time.

Sebastian

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Slide Switches AC/DC current rating question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:20:58 am »
For a project I'm working on I need a slide switch to select between two current paths. (Max 2.5 Amps DC)
Most switches I find are rated for 4 or 6 Amps at 125 VAC but only like 0.5A at DC.
Why is that? 

If I use such a switch in my project what kind of things would the the effect of passing high DC Current through the switch?
The contact look sufficient to conduct such a current but i don't understand why they have such a low DC rating and high AC rating.
The DC voltage maximum would be 20V and the switches would be positioned before current begins to flow, most of the time.
The reason switches have lower ratings at DC, especially as voltages increase, is that DC arcs don't self-extinguish - with AC, any arc formed at opening  will stop at the zero-crossing and not restart. A DC arc will just keep burning until the contact seperation is too big to sustain it (which may be never).
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline SebGTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Currently looking for an EE Job
Re: Slide Switches AC/DC current rating question
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:18:41 am »
This if very interesting and it explains a lot.  Thanks.

Sebastian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf