Author Topic: Small analog oscilloscopes?  (Read 4472 times)

Offline PotatoBoxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Small analog oscilloscopes?
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:05:58 am »
Hello, Ive been looking for a cheap analog oscilloscope for some time but I really dont have space for a normal one so Ive been looking out for a small one. The only ones I know of are the tektronix 213 and the 222. I remember dave receiving a small little analog oscilloscope in mail bag but I cant recall which model it was...

Are there any other oscilloscopes like this?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Small analog oscilloscopes?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:41:02 am »
Those little Tek scopes are totally cool, I'd love to have one myself, but like most people I'd want it more for the collectible/novelty factor than for any actual need of a tiny analog scope. I'm not aware of any others like them and I think you would find that if they exist they would be similarly hard to come by and relatively expensive for what they are. Do you specifically need an analog scope for something?

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 12:53:21 am »
The Tektronix SC504 and other TM-500 plugin scopes are pretty slick.

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/SC504

You can put that in a two bay TM-502. (The scope takes two slots.) The SC504 in particular would benefit from an added fan, though.

I have one in my ham shack. A TM500 series setup makes a nice modular test bench for the ham shack vs. the real repair bench.

Offline PotatoBoxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:06:13 am »
Those little Tek scopes are totally cool, I'd love to have one myself, but like most people I'd want it more for the collectible/novelty factor than for any actual need of a tiny analog scope. I'm not aware of any others like them and I think you would find that if they exist they would be similarly hard to come by and relatively expensive for what they are. Do you specifically need an analog scope for something?

Well I was looking out for an analog scope because people are talking about how cheap they are etc etc. But I really saw no other alternative to the analog oscilloscope as i heard the dso nanos are terrible and there are no reasonably priced decent digital oscilliscope.

Online rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:10:49 am »
Any cheap analog scope is not likely to be small. If you need something little, digital is about all there is.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 01:11:08 am »
Don't know if these little Aaron's turn up in your part of the world but they are pretty tiny and cool:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/aaron-bs-310s-cro-mini-teardowm/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 01:25:12 am »
USB scope?

or

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 05:50:18 am »
Analog scopes are cheap largely because they're bulky and heavy and because DSOs are all the rage these days so there are lots of good analog scopes gathering dust that can be had inexpensively. The little compact ones are collectible so you won't really save much over getting a newer small DSO. I've seen a few older Rigol DSOs going for under $200, if you want something compact that is more than a toy you're not gonna get a whole lot cheaper than that.

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 06:48:02 am »
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/335

There is also something called something like Mobiscope (a tiny thing from the 80s running on batteries only)? Saw one the the other day at HSC, but they told me it has no price yet. Google doesn't return anything though...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf