Author Topic: Small Introduction and Quest for usefull DIY Kits.  (Read 3160 times)

Offline SirAlucardTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Small Introduction and Quest for usefull DIY Kits.
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:55:40 pm »
Hey guys! So quick intro, I'm 30 years old, and have been tinkering with electronics for the majority of my life. Seriously, I was taking stuff apart since the age of 2. Lately I've been delving deeper into learning more about electronics. I've always loved to take things apart and 'figure' out how they work, but I never truly understood how they worked. Which leads me to this blog. I've been watching Dave's videos on YouTube for many years but never actually decided to sign up until recently. Figure what better way to get knowledge than talk to people that do this all the time.

Like I said I've been getting more and more into Electrical Engineering so I've been slowly putting a proper workbench together. As shown in the picture below. It's rather messy and in need of some serious organization. I'm just using what was there before me, so I need to add some shelves and whatnot.

I've started stocking some parts, resistors, capacitors, I've got at least 10 of the most common ones available. All received through ebay sellers that sold 1000 sets of 100 values. Some crystals of variable values. I've gotton myself a soldering station which is leaps and bounds better than I was using, and have a working PC PSU that I use for 12v and 5v. I've got plenty of wires, pc ribbon cables that I can use as smaller connection wires, gotten a decent DMM that was in the suggestions of this board.

However there are things I've yet to get that I want to. A Scope is kinda on the top of my list to get. However I don't have much, or any of a budget really to get one at this time. I'd also eventually need to get a decent variable power supply. As well as a signal/function generator.

As per what my interests are, well they vary widely. I'd like to get into some engineering, and development of things, but I also just like to tinker. I enjoy hobbies like RC cars, and wouldn't mind adventuring into Ham at some point. I just like learning as much as I can, and trying to see what I can come up with.

So that being said to the point of my post. I'm looking for some DIY kits that I can put together and learn from. Specifically things that can come in handy or be used at some point, not just silly toys like noise makers, or blinky lights, because really you can make those on your own without having to purchase a kit for it. I also realize most anything you could make on your own as well, with a bit more know how.

Some items I'm already looking at getting are as follows.

A basic Oscilloscope Kit, that'll give me basic functionality of a scope to mess around with. I've been looking at the DSO138, however I know that it comes in multiple versions, and I can't seem to find a good link from a reputable seller that'll sell the latest one. Or if you guys know a better one please let me know!

I'm looking at this Transistor Tester, I think it'll make a great little piece of kit - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Version-Transistor-Tester-LCR-Diode-Capacitance-ESR-meter-Signal-Generator/182678167951?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=485227022397&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm also looking at doing a DIY Resistance Substitution box using these pushwheel switch encoders, and putting them into a nice little case. - https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-x-One-Unit-Decimal-0-9-Digital-Pushwheel-Switch-Encoder-Thumbwheel-KSA-2/222194880206?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm also looking for a decent Function Generator/Signal Generator to get as a kit as well.

Other than these, are there any sort of kits that you guys suggest/recommend getting? Or any projects that aren't in kit form like the Resistance Substitution box? I realize I can also make a capacitor substitution box as well. Really anything that can be both educational as well as useful like the Transistor tester or the Basic Oscilloscope would be a great addition to my collection as well as educational for me.

Please I'd love to see what you guys have found, or if you have a better item than what I linked or a known seller that you've purchased from before I'd love to know that information. I look forward to chatting with you guys!

-A

The following users thanked this post: Gp!

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
Re: Small Introduction and Quest for usefull DIY Kits.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:20:34 pm »
DIY PSU from a DPS5005 module.

The following users thanked this post: SirAlucard

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:24:51 pm »
A basic Oscilloscope Kit, that'll give me basic functionality of a scope to mess around with. I've been looking at the DSO138, however I know that it comes in multiple versions, and I can't seem to find a good link from a reputable seller that'll sell the latest one. Or if you guys know a better one please let me know!

Alucard.  Ah yes.  A distinguished Transylvanian name.

I bought the DSO150, which I believe is a bit more capable than the 138, and with the rotary encoder also easier to operate.  Check both out on JYETech.com.  As far as I can tell, Banggood is the only place to buy these.  I saw a recent JYETech post on their forum offering Banggood as a seller of genuine kits, and fake ones abound everywhere else, including Ebay.  I would think Banggood is also most likely to have the latest versions because of the volume they do.

Offline LoFi

• Contributor
  • Madness, put to good use
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:46:38 am »
There is a small regulated power supply kit that I enjoyed building. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DDJBS3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's gotten mixed reviews.  Everyone agrees the instructions are very poor. Some buyers have had problems with the solder pads detaching... but I suspect they may have been soldering with excessive heat.  Hard to know how competent buyers/reviewers of these kits are. 

I bought it, soldered it together and it worked the first time.  Maybe I got lucky with good parts.  The assembled kit was surprisingly accurate, producing voltage within a couple of counts of a Fluke 87v over most of the voltage range (less accurate below 3V and above 12V). Despite claims of producing "1.5W" of power, it only seems able to generate 20-30 milliamps of current... enough to provide power for small electronic projects, but it won't replace a good bench meter.  I liked it, and it's actually useful.
"Don't play stupid with me... I'm better at it."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 05:08:48 am »

I've definitely looked at these modules before, the only thing that bothers me about them is you need a power supply, to power the power supply. So even after spending the $30 on the module, you'll need to spend another $30+ for a power supply that can supply 30v 5A since the module can only put out as much as it's getting. If I'm going to spend $60 I might as well get one of these Eventek KPS305D https://www.amazon.com/Eventek-KPS305D-Adjustable-Switching-Regulated/dp/B071RNT1CD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519448730&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=benchtop+power+supply&psc=1

I bought the DSO150, which I believe is a bit more capable than the 138, and with the rotary encoder also easier to operate.  Check both out on JYETech.com.  As far as I can tell, Banggood is the only place to buy these.  I saw a recent JYETech post on their forum offering Banggood as a seller of genuine kits, and fake ones abound everywhere else, including Ebay.  I would think Banggood is also most likely to have the latest versions because of the volume they do.

I thought I had seen somewhere that there was an upgraded unit for the DSO138, other than the fact that there is a revision 4 of the 138 that cleans up any noise. How does the DSO150 go as per the noise issues? Cause that'd definitely be on my list.

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 06:29:52 am »

I've definitely looked at these modules before, the only thing that bothers me about them is you need a power supply, to power the power supply. So even after spending the $30 on the module, you'll need to spend another $30+ for a power supply that can supply 30v 5A since the module can only put out as much as it's getting. If I'm going to spend $60 I might as well get one of these Eventek KPS305D https://www.amazon.com/Eventek-KPS305D-Adjustable-Switching-Regulated/dp/B071RNT1CD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519448730&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=benchtop+power+supply&psc=1
Output is max. 90% of the input. I use an old & free Dell laptop PSU for the input. Then I get max. 5A 17V. I made one model with internal batteries. It lasts for months in microcontroller development.

The following users thanked this post: Gp!

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 02:45:41 pm »
I thought I had seen somewhere that there was an upgraded unit for the DSO138, other than the fact that there is a revision 4 of the 138 that cleans up any noise. How does the DSO150 go as per the noise issues? Cause that'd definitely be on my list.

There is a new 138MINI.  But you'll have to go to the JYETech site for the details.  I'm not sure if any of the 138s come with a case.  I have the old version of the DSO150, and I would say it is moderately noisy, but not to the point of being a problem.  I understand the newer version (shipped since July, I believe) is better on noise.  But if you go with the LIPO mod with a boost converter, that module may introduce some power supply noise.  But it switches at 1.2 MHz, which is above the practical range of the scope, and I don't notice any change from using my wall wart. I'd suggest you join the JYETech forum and ask there about noise levels on these models.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:43:55 am »

There is a new 138MINI.  But you'll have to go to the JYETech site for the details.  I'm not sure if any of the 138s come with a case.  I have the old version of the DSO150, and I would say it is moderately noisy, but not to the point of being a problem.  I understand the newer version (shipped since July, I believe) is better on noise.  But if you go with the LIPO mod with a boost converter, that module may introduce some power supply noise.  But it switches at 1.2 MHz, which is above the practical range of the scope, and I don't notice any change from using my wall wart. I'd suggest you join the JYETech forum and ask there about noise levels on these models.

There are plenty of cases on fleabay for the 138, I'm gonna try to look up as much info on it as I can on the v4 of the 138, the mini, and the 150 and see what I can find.

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 06:23:11 am »
There are a number of useful videos on Youtube on all these scopes.  And of course the JYETech site, including the forum, has a lot of information.  When you make a decision, I suggest you buy from Banggood.  They are a JYE-recommended source of genuine kits, and fake kits cannot be flashed with new firmware.  It seems the AliExpress and Ebay sellers pretty much all sell fakes.

I think the rotary encoder found in the DSO150 makes things a lot more convenient.  And the case has room for a lipo battery, charger, and boost converter.  But that's the only one I've used, so I don't really know about the others.  I made a couple of noise-reduction modifications to mine this morning, and now it's pretty much noise-free even using the battery and boost converter.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 12:49:08 pm »
There are a number of useful videos on Youtube on all these scopes.  And of course the JYETech site, including the forum, has a lot of information.  When you make a decision, I suggest you buy from Banggood.  They are a JYE-recommended source of genuine kits, and fake kits cannot be flashed with new firmware.  It seems the AliExpress and Ebay sellers pretty much all sell fakes.

I think the rotary encoder found in the DSO150 makes things a lot more convenient.  And the case has room for a lipo battery, charger, and boost converter.  But that's the only one I've used, so I don't really know about the others.  I made a couple of noise-reduction modifications to mine this morning, and now it's pretty much noise-free even using the battery and boost converter.

I'd love to hear about what you did to reduce the noise, or the source you used in doing so. I'm definitely thinking about the DSO150, my only concern is that it looks very small. Granted it's $20, I'm curious if it can be upgraded to a larger display.

Also I noticed on BangGood that they have two warehouses, one in Canada, and one in the US, while I am in the US, the canadian warehouse is 14% off currently, is it worth paying the extra and have shorter delivery time from the US warehouse or go for the cheaper one from Canada? I've never actually ordered from BangGood so I don't know how long the Canadian one would usually take to ship. I imagine they are the same exact units.

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 06:30:26 pm »

I'd love to hear about what you did to reduce the noise, or the source you used in doing so. I'm definitely thinking about the DSO150, my only concern is that it looks very small. Granted it's $20, I'm curious if it can be upgraded to a larger display.

Also I noticed on BangGood that they have two warehouses, one in Canada, and one in the US, while I am in the US, the canadian warehouse is 14% off currently, is it worth paying the extra and have shorter delivery time from the US warehouse or go for the cheaper one from Canada? I've never actually ordered from BangGood so I don't know how long the Canadian one would usually take to ship. I imagine they are the same exact units.

I have the old version of the main and analog boards.  If you get a DSO150, you will get the new versions, and there may be no need for any extra noise reduction.  But the changes I made were described in a PDF posted to the JYETech forum by Toshi back in July:

https://www.jyetech.com/forum/download/file.php?id=467

Some of his suggestions were incorporated into the new board designs.  I believe what's left that would apply to the new boards would be the following:

1.  Add a wire connecting AGND on the analog board directly to DGND down near the power supply entry.

2.  Change the 0-ohm jumper R18 to a 10-ohm resistor.

3.  Remove R21 and R22 (both 100K) on the main board.

If you have any interest in converting the DSO to battery powered, which I would certainly recommend, then you need to read the forum thread "Li-ion Power Mod" before you begin building the kit.  It will save you a bunch of time if you install the rotary encoder directly to the main board instead of using the little daughterboard, and if you cut two traces under SW5 before soldering it in so it can function as a DPDT switch.  Both of these are described in that thread.

I don't know anything about Banggood's Canadian warehouse.  Didn't know they had one.  I'm not sure they would ship to you in the US from Canada without charging extra for shipping, customs, etc.  I think you will find that you will receive the kit from China in three to four weeks.  And there's no guarantee that paying more for the US or Canadian warehouse will necessarily improve that much.  And you can order other things you need from China, such as the probe, the battery charger and the boost converter.  I don't think they sell a compatible battery, but you can get that from a US source through Ebay.

I doubt it would be practical to change the display size.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 09:17:32 pm »
Quote from: Peabody
I don't know anything about Banggood's Canadian warehouse.  Didn't know they had one. 

I guess I was wrong on that, I thought CN was Canada, not China. So I was mistaken on that. So yea I think the extra price for the US Warehouse is worth the extra money.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 03:06:32 am »
Alright So I ordered the DSO150, I really look forward to getting it in. :)

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 08:10:11 am »
Output is max. 90% of the input. I use an old & free Dell laptop PSU for the input. Then I get max. 5A 17V. I made one model with internal batteries. It lasts for months in microcontroller development.

The DPH5005 and it's brothers/sisters are boost/buck.  I run mine off a 12V LiPo and while I have not tested it under load at 50V, I have tested it at 15V and 5A and it worked fine.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 08:29:38 am »

The DPH5005 and it's brothers/sisters are boost/buck.  I run mine off a 12V LiPo and while I have not tested it under load at 50V, I have tested it at 15V and 5A and it worked fine.
I use DPS models because they have smaller ripple. I have Thurlby Thandar and HP power supplies for serious stuff.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 11:14:02 pm »

Ooooh I really kinda like how the DPH is able to have a bluetooth/usb connection to a PC. That's kinda cool!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf