Author Topic: Small PCB trim pot knobs?  (Read 4503 times)

Offline kalelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Small PCB trim pot knobs?
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:10:07 am »
These things can be quite cheap:

and might be accurate enough for some adjustments. In fact, you get them on Chinese buck boost voltage regulators and such. If you're actively adjusting the voltage it could be a bit annoying.

Obviously they are designed to be adjusted with a tool, but for convenience, do you know if caps for this exist or could be improvised from something?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:34:20 pm by kalel »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Small PCB trim pot caps?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:40:41 am »
I have some Bourns trimmers that have knobs long enough for finger adjustment which are handy for breadboard circuits. I don't know if they have similar multi-turn types though.

The following users thanked this post: kalel

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:07:30 am »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 12:15:46 pm »
One of the main reasons that trimpots don't generally come with knobs is because they have a very limited rotational life and should not be used in applications where they'd be operated a lot (like a control).
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 02:16:56 pm »
One of the main reasons that trimpots don't generally come with knobs is because they have a very limited rotational life and should not be used in applications where they'd be operated a lot (like a control).

Yeah, this.  Even some of the good ones are rated surprisingly low in this regard.  Should be in the datasheet.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:31:45 pm »

Yes, that seems quite reasonable. But for some uses, quick breadboard experimentation or other experimentation, and them coming with some stepdowns and stepups makes you want to have a simple way of adjusting without needing to have an adjustment tool or screwdriver with you every time (as an example, I'm using a step down that has one of those for adjustment and a built in voltmeter as an improvised voltage controlled power supply).

They are also smaller and significantly cheaper than larger potentiometers designed to be frequently adjusted. For a finished product, it definitely makes sense to use the proper part and consider longevity and definitely other specs too.

Maybe a cap could be improvised? Some tube or something, and a little bit of glue. Maybe heatshrink and a bit of heat? The issue with many kinds of glue and trying to glue something to the screw is that it might leak between the screw and plastic and have the undesirable effect of also fixing the position, so that you can't rotate it at all. Trying to apply a small amount of hot melt glue over the screw might work, but I doubt it sticks that great to metal.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:46:16 pm »
I've done this before: tack some trimmers onto a piece of copper clad, with the surface cut up into islands for each connection as needed.  Jumper the pads down to a header.  Plug the header into the solderless breadboard.

That avoids the trouble of leads that are too short, floopy, or the wrong pitch, and allows you to use SMTs, too.

I'm not sure what this has to do with trimmer capacitors...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 07:54:20 pm »
I've done this before: tack some trimmers onto a piece of copper clad, with the surface cut up into islands for each connection as needed.  Jumper the pads down to a header.  Plug the header into the solderless breadboard.

That avoids the trouble of leads that are too short, floopy, or the wrong pitch, and allows you to use SMTs, too.

Tim

By caps in the title, I meant knobs actually (well plastic or other caps over the trim pot, making them easier or at least possible to rotate using fingers alone). Might be using the wrong term.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 08:31:08 pm »

Tim

By caps in the title, I meant knobs actually (well plastic or other caps over the trim pot, making them easier or at least possible to rotate using fingers alone). Might be using the wrong term.
It might read better if you use the word: knob.......I did a doubletake but after reading the OP again I understood you wanted knobs.

You can go back and edit the thread title.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 08:34:51 pm »

Tim

It might read better if you use the word: knob.......I did a doubletake but after reading the OP again I understood you wanted knobs.

You can go back and edit the thread title.  ;)

Right, I've changed the title.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Small PCB trim pot knobs?
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 04:12:29 am »
Personally, I wouldn't use trimpots on a breadboard setup unless lead length is an issue.  I have a panel with 1k and 10k linear pots plus a 100K log pot with some pin header sockets mounted for connection points.

Offline Le_Bassiste

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 06:33:28 am »
Clippy's Final Destination  >:D
An assertion ending with a question mark is a brain fart.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 06:53:25 am »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 07:46:14 am »
These are the best thing...

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/trimmer-tools/0543434/

I'm still using one like that I bought ~40 years ago.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 01:37:06 pm »
You'll have to be creative and stick a small tube to the knob, which later is turned using a bigger knob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 07:08:42 pm »
Trim tool might even be the best thing in the end, but other creative solutions are great too.

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 07:12:16 pm »
If the goal is a knob for breadboarding why not just use a regular pot? They are pretty cheap from China. They already have a knurled knob of sorts (and can take a real knob). They also fit right into a breadboard vertically.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf