Author Topic: Small Switch - Current Handling?  (Read 956 times)

Offline LeoTechTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • High School student with a passion for electronics
Small Switch - Current Handling?
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:20:48 pm »
Hey everyone,

Quick question about small switches:

I am looking for a switch for my next project, and as I have almost zero experience with switches and current handling, I thought to ask here.

The switch in question is this one:

(Source: Muekra.de)

For several reasons, which are to complicated and unnecessary to explain here, I can only use this supplier and I am not able to find a datasheet for this switch.

So for my question: Will this switch be able to control/handle a current of max. 20 mA at 12 Volts?

Thanks in advance,

Leo

High School student with a passion and interest in electronics, both analog and digital!

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Small Switch - Current Handling?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:44:08 pm »
Impossible to know without the data sheet.

One of the problems with low currents is the oxide layer on the contacts may not be broken, when the contacts close. The current required to ensure the switch works reliably, is known as the wetting current, i.e. the minimum current which can be reliably switched.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 03:10:17 pm »
That switch 20mA at 12V no problem short term. However long term those switches are not exactly the most reliable type, they, depending on the actual manufacturer, the choice of materials they used that day ( plastics and steel they use is very variable in quality, as it generally is a cheap recycled material with unknown quality control other than meeting some basic specs for dimensions and melting point) and just how worn the actual production tooling was. But, for a switch where under 500 operations is going to be the life, and you are not in any sort of aggressive atmosphere or too humid, it will generally do.

Offline LeoTechTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • High School student with a passion for electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 03:25:00 pm »
Thanks for the answers!

One of the problems with low currents is the oxide layer on the contacts may not be broken, when the contacts close. The current required to ensure the switch works reliably, is known as the wetting current, i.e. the minimum current which can be reliably switched.

I've never heard of that, but it sounds plausible - although I doubt this will have any effect. If the current turns out to be to low, I can always increase it. I am more worried about the max current.

That switch 20mA at 12V no problem short term. However long term those switches are not exactly the most reliable type, they, depending on the actual manufacturer, the choice of materials they used that day ( plastics and steel they use is very variable in quality, as it generally is a cheap recycled material with unknown quality control other than meeting some basic specs for dimensions and melting point) and just how worn the actual production tooling was. But, for a switch where under 500 operations is going to be the life, and you are not in any sort of aggressive atmosphere or too humid, it will generally do.

500 operations is good enough for me, as this will be a one-off project sitting on my bench, and I can always replace the switch if necessary.
In terms of quality control, you are most likely correct, as this indeed appears to be a cheapo from China.

Thanks again,

Leo
High School student with a passion and interest in electronics, both analog and digital!

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 05:03:23 pm »
That switch should have no difficulty handling your maximum 20mA current, particularly at 12V (very low signal voltage can be more of a problem). It may not be of good quality but slide switches have good contact wiping action.

If in doubt, try it with an LED and series resistor and see if it flickers.
Best Regards, Chris

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:58:31 pm »
Thanks for the answers!

I've never heard of that, but it sounds plausible - although I doubt this will have any effect. If the current turns out to be to low, I can always increase it. I am more worried about the max current.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current
Looking at it again, you should be fine, with 20mA as it's a small switch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf