Author Topic: So how do I use IGBT?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
So how do I use IGBT?
« on: November 13, 2016, 10:53:41 am »
I have a few IRG4BC20KD IGBTs I bought with the intention to experiment with, but I had zero idea how to use it. What kind of beginner's experiments can I try with it?

I have a 20V supply (a Dell 65W laptop power supply,) level shifters to interface microcontrollers (IR2101 and IR2110) as well as microcontrollers that supports high-seed PWM and dead-time control (STM32F103CB @ 72MHz and ATtiny85 @ 64MHz)

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
Re: So how do I use IGBT?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 11:16:34 am »
IGBTs are very similar to MOSFETs. So you can use them like MOSFETs.
IGBTs will work at 20V, but at low voltages (<200V) MOSFETs are better, because of the faster switching speed (lower switching losses) and lower voltage drop (lower conduction losses).

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 11:50:26 am »
IGBTs are very similar to MOSFETs. So you can use them like MOSFETs.
IGBTs will work at 20V, but at low voltages (<200V) MOSFETs are better, because of the faster switching speed (lower switching losses) and lower voltage drop (lower conduction losses).
So I can just use those the same way as MOSFETs? Can I use those in linear region for low-power experiments (I use my IRF540 and IRF4905 in linear region fairly often?)

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 12:34:18 pm »
An IGBT is basically a PNP transistor driven by an N-channel MOSFET. So the input behaves like a MOSFET with a slightly higher threshold voltage.
IGBTs are designed for switching operation, therefore most datasheets do not have any specifications for linear operation. Manufacturers also do not recommend linear operation.
But you can use them for linear operation at low power levels (similar to mosfets, maybe up to 30W for TO220 and 50W or so for TO247 package, depending on the voltage).

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 04:42:40 pm »
An IGBT is basically a PNP transistor driven by an N-channel MOSFET. So the input behaves like a MOSFET with a slightly higher threshold voltage.
IGBTs are designed for switching operation, therefore most datasheets do not have any specifications for linear operation. Manufacturers also do not recommend linear operation.
But you can use them for linear operation at low power levels (similar to mosfets, maybe up to 30W for TO220 and 50W or so for TO247 package, depending on the voltage).
I have 2 IGBT half-bridge modules pulled from a crashed golf-cart, with hopes one day of using them as lone series pass devices.. A spec sheet on a similar 150amp model shows SOA of only 4 amps with Vce of only 50v (that sucks..) Am I reading this right?  :-//

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 07:26:18 pm »
I scavenged a couple of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/181361997908 out of a large UPS.  Testing has shown that they're IGBTs, but no info is available on them.  How can you measure or estimate the ratings of an IGBT?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 07:46:25 pm »
I scavenged a couple of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/181361997908 out of a large UPS.  Testing has shown that they're IGBTs, but no info is available on them.  How can you measure or estimate the ratings of an IGBT?
Take that sticker off the side.. But guard G1/B1 and G2/B2 pins from static first. ** like this:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:01:54 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:26:09 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf