Author Topic: Solder Paste Recommendations.  (Read 7660 times)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Solder Paste Recommendations.
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 07:36:01 pm »
Last time I bought solder paste, I just ordered from Amazon.  I usually order from Howard Electronics...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RSZFQQ

I have a hot air tool but I have never actually used it.  I guess I just don't do much repair work.

For new construction, I use solder paste and a hot plate or modified toaster oven.  Both work well.

I also simply apply paste to both pads of a component and position it.  Holding it with tweezers, I just use a soldering iron to heat and flow the solder.

For drag soldering, I use flux.  Turns out that link above contains a 'kit' part way down the page.  It adds flux and solder wick.

Considering the cost of the PCB along with the components, I can't get too concerned about the cost of solder paste.  It's insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

Offline gibbled

• Regular Contributor
  • VE7 call sign
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 10:04:36 pm »
Thanks for the Krud Kutter suggestion, I picked up a bottle from my local home hardware.  I expected it to not work but it really does work well...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:11:47 pm by gibbled »

Offline wade7575Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 11:50:18 pm »
Most people that try it tell me they like it and it works great if your not looking for instant result's like you get from a chemical,I find it's mainly people that hate eco friendly stuff that don't like the Krud Kutter or people that have no patience.

Thanks for the Krud Kutter suggestion, I picked up a bottle from my local home hardware.  I expected it to not work but it really does work well...

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 01:26:28 am »
Is there a no-clean flux that cleans easily with Isopropyl?
If you INTEND to clean the board, use WS (Water Soluble) paste.  It works better than NC, in my opinion, and washes off easily with either water or solvent.

Jon
Except that, as others have explained in detail in other threads, without a high quality ultrasonic cleaner and well defined cleaning regimen, you cannot be certain that you removed all traces of flux, and residual water soluble flux is extremely damaging in the long run. For that reason, using water soluble flux is highly unrecommended for home use of any kind. (And even in professional use, there are some applications where it is categorically prohibited, like stranded wire.)

Offline Harjit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 03:42:37 pm »
@BSon - can you talk about your stencil design - opening, thickness, etc.? The joints look beautiful!

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 04:06:59 pm »
A while ago someone recommended Spray Nine, which i tried with Kester leaded stuff and it worked as per the recommendation said. it said use with an electric toothbrush but I used a regular one. Did not try fully soaking the board though. Seems also to be less expensive than crude cutter. Available in Canadian Tire

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/spray-nine-multi-purpose-cleaner-0534223p.0534223.html
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 07:11:05 pm »
Is there a no-clean flux that cleans easily with Isopropyl?
If you INTEND to clean the board, use WS (Water Soluble) paste.  It works better than NC, in my opinion, and washes off easily with either water or solvent.

Jon
Except that, as others have explained in detail in other threads, without a high quality ultrasonic cleaner and well defined cleaning regimen, you cannot be certain that you removed all traces of flux, and residual water soluble flux is extremely damaging in the long run. For that reason, using water soluble flux is highly unrecommended for home use of any kind. (And even in professional use, there are some applications where it is categorically prohibited, like stranded wire.)
Yes, OK, quite valid points!  I currently use WS only on some through-hole connectors that I then wash with a water/toothbrush scrub.  So, there really isn't any place for the flux to get into that isn't removed.  This board is then tested on a bed-of-nails fixture, and I was having problems with no-clean flux preventing the through-hole connections from working.  Soldering those with WS and then a very easy clean-up with water solved the issue.  But, I can see if WS flux got under SMT components that it could cause real problems long-term.

Jon

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 11:41:57 pm »
Another much cheaper option short term for desoldering is 'chip quik' and similar alloy solder. Its a low melting point, special solder for desoldering use. Dave did a video on it, check it out. Its very fast and convenient to use.

I agree with what mrpackethead says.

Are you hoping to place parts on paste and then reflow with hot air to solder them?

thats fraught with lots and lots of challenges.   Hot Air is not a good tool for putting parts on boards.  Its a good tool for getting them off.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf