Author Topic: Does a component that requires bakeout before reflow require it for hand solder?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline JoeNTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
Component is LQFP-48, MSL-3.  Soldering is hand soldering, not hot air, oven, or skillet.  Generally, do you need to bake it out for hand soldering too?

Thanks!
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
No. Components with designated MSL only require baking when being reflowed - hand soldering is exempt because the dwell time is short and heat only applied directly to the component leads.

Offline JoeNTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
No. Components with designated MSL only require baking when being reflowed - hand soldering is exempt because the dwell time is short and heat only applied directly to the component leads.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking.  From time to time I get a few parts from Digikey and they come sealed, moisture indicator, desiccant bag, the whole nine yards.  I prefer to remove the IC from this setup because it is too bulky to store in my IC trays and usually I need to get at the first IC for my project (any part less than about ten bucks I will always get at least an extra one, just in case or for future projects).    I was wondering if this was wise, but I figured if it wasn't leadless then it is something I am going to hand-solder anyway.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf