Poll

Is it better to buy a 2 in 1 or buy 2 separate stations (Solder station / Hot Air station)

I love the Hantek solder station but don't need that expensive hot air... I'd get a separate one.
2 (100%)
But a random 2 in 1 (or advise me)
0 (0%)
I'm inpatient and ordering as soon as I can with the oscilloscope.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 08:33:06 am

Author Topic: Solder & Rework station (What to look for?)  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Andy-In_over_my_headTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Solder & Rework station (What to look for?)
« on: November 24, 2016, 08:33:06 am »
I've been into this hobby for about 6 weeks. I study obsessively. I've spent over 3000 in components and power supply and random things I've been building and frying. I'm at the point where I want a good solder station and and oscilloscope (among many other things I'm just going to roll the dice on). I don't want to re-buy anything like I have been after I learn about them. I need advised along the way...
I'll try and post a picture of my Home Office (I make structural reinforcing blueprints) that has been turned completely over the last 6 weeks. If you have helpful advice, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
"I'd rather be buried then ungrateful to be given life and food on the table. And in a world this shaky and unstable, we've got to be less hateful!"

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Solder & Rework station (What to look for?)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:38:47 am »
If you're looking to not have to re-buy tools as you progress, I'd go for separate soldering and hot air stations.

For soldering, a high quality unit makes a big difference - if you can afford it, a new or second hand JBC, Metcal, Thermaltronics, Ersa or Hakko soldering station.

For hot air, a high quality makes less difference to the ease of use - a cheap chinese hot air station is fine to start with.

The following users thanked this post: Andy-In_over_my_head

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 09:08:01 am »
The HAKKO FX-888D soldering station is $79 at frys at the moment (this is about as cheap as they get). If your budget is way higher than that, take your pick.

I would get a separate hot air station, search for the 858D variety (should do for starters), around $50 on ebay/amazon etc, cheap to service and professional ones are still quite pricey. Still need to give it a once over but it's all a part of the learning process.

Even though you may find an all in one for around $130 there is no way you will get the quality of the Hakko built in and you will end up with two substandard products in one which can be a recipe for disappointment.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: Andy-In_over_my_head

Offline ieast

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 03:36:13 pm »
I've had a relatively good experience with X-Tronic equipment.  Good price and decent quality.  You can pick up a Model 5040-XTS rework/solder station for about $230 that comes with everything you need to get started.
https://www.xtronicusa.com/#!/X-TRONIC-5000-SERIES-MODEL-5040-XTS-Hot-Air-Rework-Station-&-Preheating-Station/p/25881615/category=6092502
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:06:25 pm by ieast »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 04:09:43 pm »
Another recommendation for separate units. As mentioned, you'll use your iron far more frequently vs. hot air, so you want a great performer that's also comfortable to use.

I've no idea as to what your budget is, but there's a seller with some used Ersa i-Con 1 stations for $180 shipped (they are 110V; new, they go for $455). The tips are very high quality and are affordable. TEquipment sells them (102 series).

If you want new, I'd actually recommend a Hakko FX-951 ($236.49 shipped) on the more budget friendly end. Not the easiest UI, but it's an excellent performer and although the tips are cartridge types, the common profiles aren't expensive.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 05:10:22 pm »
I've had a relatively good experience with X-Tronic equipment.  Good price and decent quality.  You can pick up a Model 5040-XTS rework/solder station for about $230

Don't happen to work for X-Tronic do you?

Looks a lot like the Yihua 853AAA ($130 or cheaper in China, but expensive shipping). I'm totally against these cheap all in one units.

I still like Yihua, $20 for a 936 soldering station and $45 for a 858D hot air is peanuts. You just got to be prepared to do a quality control check and send a monster like the Yihua 853AAA back, repair it or live with any quirks it may have.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 06:08:41 pm »
Well why is that "Baku" under the Hakku on amazon prime? it has solder and rework for $180.... and my budget is only particularly tight right now because of buying an oscilloscope and a shit load of transistors and random arduino and rasberry pi stuff... again a whole lot I know nothing about but when I make it that far, I want it here..... Plus I learn more going balls deep and going for whatever is around my bread board and making something.
ANYAYS---
Im hearing 2 recommendations for Haku solder station.... (I will buy separately)...
I get the UI on the fx-951 might be better but will I even know the difference?
I mean, I've been happy with my 3 radioshack "corn cob skewers" but thats because I'm ignorant to what is necessary... and inexperienced..... very inexperienced... haha.
"I'd rather be buried then ungrateful to be given life and food on the table. And in a world this shaky and unstable, we've got to be less hateful!"

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 07:00:15 pm »
Im hearing 2 recommendations for Haku solder station.... (I will buy separately)...
I get the UI on the fx-951 might be better but will I even know the difference?
It's not about the UI in this particular comparison, but rather their performance, ergonomics, and other touches (i.e. silicone cable that's super flexible vs. stiff PVC). The performance difference is very noticeable in this case.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 12:22:42 am »
seperates - always.

when one fails you can fix it with the other or replace it more cheaply.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 12:33:41 am »
I would say get 2 soldering irons. Both of at least Hakko quality.
Personally i think my HAKKO FX-888D is great, but I am sure the more expensive tip technologies are better.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 12:45:33 am »
Here is a little history primer.

Hakko is a reliable Japanese brand that has been around a while. Most Chinese models originated from a couple of Hakko models and were very cheap.

Fast forward a few years and these Chinese stations are being imported under a plethora of different brands and the market is saturated with them. You now have US/Euro companies re-badge them and then sell this cheap product through major distributors. So what was a once $20 station gets a bright blue LCD display shoved in-front and they just keep getting more and more expensive.

Most Chinese import/clones have copied Hakko's older 907 iron design. The Hakko FX-888D on special at $80 is the best bang for buck in that price range and is the real deal. Rest of the world pay a premium for Hakko.

If you can afford to buy a Hakko FX-951 or a better Weller, Metcal or JBC or any other of the established brands go for it. Just don't buy a Chinese clone that costs as much as the real deal.

Amazon and Ebay is not the best place to buy Hakko, the chances of getting ripped off buying a counterfeit is high. Instead get it from Frys, Tequipment, Hakko USA who are legitimate sellers.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 12:48:34 am by Shock »

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 06:32:49 pm »
Having confronted that question myself in the past year (upgrading from cheap pencil irons), I went with a good Weller WES51 soldering station, and a cheap WEP 858D hot air station. Read up on the hot air stations and check to be sure your hot air nozzle is properly grounded! Mine was, but not all are. I bought through Amazon.

I'm not a fan of all-in-ones, generally speaking. Back in the day, they sold TV-VCR combinations. Great, until the VCR breaks. Or the TV. whenever either one fails, both are affected. I'd rather have separates and be able to repair/replace individually.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 02:12:09 am »
Thanks everyone.  The frys comment was very helpful.. got the hakko tripple 8 for $80 and bought a shit load of IC's and other things I know nothing about....   one way to find out though.. but I love this solder station... Im frustrated at how much money I've spent at radio shack.... damn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf