Author Topic: Solder Station and surge protector  (Read 3127 times)

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Solder Station and surge protector
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:33:36 pm »
Is it a bad idea to plug a solder station into a surge protector? Does it limit the station's performance in any way? Is it best to plug it straight into the wall?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: Solder Station and surge protector
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:38:07 pm »
It will be fine assuming you're under the amperage of the surge protector, most solder stations pull very little current.

I think my Hakko FM-206 with three irons is still < 400 watts when all three are heating.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:33:49 am »
My Hakko 936 is plugged into a Belkin surge protector with all 6 sockets filled.  The Belkin is plugged into an APC SmartUPS 1550with 3 more surge protectors running my entire workbench.  Have had no issues with the Hakko or anything else test equipment wise.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline tony3dTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:30:12 pm »
Ok, thanks for the reply's.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:54:12 pm »
Most surge protectors only consist of an El-cheapo circuit breaker and a couple of undersized piss ant MOVs.  In the event of overloading, ie plugging in too much stuff, it's designed to disconnect all sockets from the mains (same as your main breaker panel).  In the event of a drastic overvoltage, the MOVs are there to shunt the offending line to ground/neutral.

For the most part, surge protectors are only good for port multiplication, rather than surge protection.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf