Author Topic: Soldering (or otherwise connecting) down a hole  (Read 1841 times)

Offline SkippyTopic starter

• Contributor
Soldering (or otherwise connecting) down a hole
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:33:45 pm »
I've got an small LCD screen that one of the LED backlight cables has come out of. So now I've got a hole in the top of the LCD module. The hole is recessed, so the contact inside is inside the module

I know the contact is in there, since I can stick a pin in the hole and touch a wire to the pin and make the backlight come on, but I can't get a soldering iron in there, and attempts of putting a wire with a blob of solder in and then heating the wire up have been a failure.

Any suggestions, preferably without spending too much?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Soldering (or otherwise connecting) down a hole
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:45:39 pm »
I would look at a mechanical solution rather than electronic soldering.

I would consider the following:

1. Gaining access to the connection by removal of insulation to expose the LED connection.
2. Screwing a suitable sized self tapping screw into the hole until it presses against the LED connection. Then a wire may be attached to the screw head
3. Use a thin piano wire or similar to form a spring contact that pushes down into the hole onto the LED contact.
4. The assembly was some how manufactured, see if you can see how and then disassembke teh parts needed to access the LED connections.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:06:44 pm »
Stick thin wire in there, and hold it in place after it is firmly placed with a tiny drop of quick setting epoxy to hold it to the board.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 07:47:04 pm »
Conductive epoxy on a wire or even better silver conductive ink with a drop of epoxy after it sets to hold it firm. The silver ink has less resistance than the epoxy.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.174/.f

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:47:04 pm »
Its interesting that conductive epoxy has been mentioned. I once thought of buying some in the form of 'Wire Glue' that was advertised on e*ay. Then I read the feedback and some buyers described its properties as those of carbon mixed with glue and certainly not very conductive. I would be interested to here from anybody who has found a conductive epoxy that is truly conductive. The amateur chemist in me wonders how an epoxy/carbon mix can be very conductive. Silver track repair kits use an very thin acrylic base, heavily loaded with silver particles and inter particle contact produces continuity....epoxy is a slightly different matter due to consistency and conductive content. Its more like a composite resistor.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf