Author Topic: Soldering in bedroom/dorm room?  (Read 15979 times)

Offline JF ElectronicsTopic starter

Soldering in bedroom/dorm room?
« on: March 10, 2017, 05:09:42 pm »
Hello fellow hobbyists;

I currently have all of my tools set up in a separate room. However I will be moving soon and the only available space for my electronics stuff will be in my bedroom. Does anyone know how hazardous it is to solder in a bedroom and what fume extractor they recommend. I would like to build my own fume extractor if possible, using PC fans and dryer duct. I will be using lead-free solder with 2.2% flux content as shown here https://goo.gl/69gNoZ .

Thanks to all in advance,

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Soldering in bedroom/dorm room?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 05:13:21 pm »
Dont do production work there. Otherwise fine for that 2 dozen solder joints. Just ventilate after.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 05:25:27 pm »
The biggest hazard is probably standing barefoot on an upturned DIP chip when you get out of bed!  :'(

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Cubdriver

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 05:35:03 pm »
The biggest hazard is probably standing barefoot on an upturned DIP chip when you get out of bed!  :'(
Just one more reason not to use those outdated packages.

I've been soldering in my bedroom for years and I'm still around to tell the tale. I just air the room out before I go to sleep to get rid of the burnt rosin smell and that's about it.

If you're still worried, any old fume extractor with a carbon filter will do a good enough job of filtering the fumes.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 05:42:31 pm »
Ouch! Brings back memories of sharp needles hiding in 70's shag carpet.. My sister and her damned sewing machine  :box:

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 05:51:58 pm »

So, i have never stabbed any my feet. And that i have the work station to near the bed(Approximately 1 meter)

Dont do production work there. Otherwise fine for that 2 dozen solder joints. Just ventilate after.

A few exaggerated, ventilating the room for 15 point soldering. Simply  if you have the door a few opened of  his bedroom, that is sufficient

Offline CraigHB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:00:49 pm »
Haha, feet don't make very good dip sockets.  I'm pretty careless with ventilation of soldering fumes.  Rosin fumes don't seem particularly caustic to me and I've never had a problem.  They actually don't smell bad at all to me.  If you want to smell caustic, try doing the aspirin method of removing enamel from magnet wire.  First time I tried that it about knocked me out of my chair.  I've since abandoned that idea because the fumes are so nasty.

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 06:57:31 pm »
I understand OP. My "work bench" is a chair with a big board on it. In a few days(or weeks) a clamp stand, with magnifying glass and lamp is arriving, so that will help. I have a desk, but my PC and disassembled oscilloscope are used for them.

I should get some boxes, and tidy my room, and use the desk as a bench, and SIT on the chair, instead of the bed.

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 07:06:52 pm »
I've been inhaling soldering fumes since I was about 14 years old, that was a zillion years ago. One summer I worked on a line doing point to point wiring on ground aircraft radios, there was no such thing as fume extractors back then. Ah, the good old days when men were men.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 07:11:57 pm »

I see your upturned DIP chip and raise you one upturned TO-3 transistor. Oh man that hurt!

I soldered in my bedroom for years when I lived in an apartment and later shared a house with a roommate. My bedroom was my sleeping space, den and workshop all in one. Crack a window and try not to huff the fumes, you'll be fine. More important is to wash your hands after handling leaded solder and try not to touch your face. Never eat while soldering either, at least not finger food.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:25:35 pm »
I used to solder in my bedroom when I was a child. Just don't solder on the bed. I did that and almost set fire to the mattress!

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 09:12:11 pm »
Just don't wire up an electrolytic cap backwards and turn it on at 250V.  It could take a while for the smoke/acid/paper bits to clear.  :o  BTDT
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 09:18:43 pm »
Keep away from that lead-free crap - the flux fumes are much worse than leaded solder. Lead in solder never hurt anyone.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Richard Crowley

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 10:20:14 pm »
I'm sure lead solder hurt somebody somewhere, at least indirectly due to lead ending up in landfills/groundwater. I still use leaded solder though, just use a little common sense, don't eat it, and don't dump large quantities of lead in the trash.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 10:57:20 pm »
The biggest hazard is probably standing barefoot on an upturned DIP chip when you get out of bed!

Is that you Seth Brundle?

Just one more reason not to use those outdated packages.

Small outline and other surface mount parts can be almost as damaging.  Instead of landing upside down, the surface mount parts tend to land corner point up like a tetrahedron at least in carpet.  I learned to wear at least slippers.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 11:43:10 pm »
My worry isn't chips in the carpet, it's little bits of clipped leads or bits of solder off the roll that end up on the ground, under the desk. My doggle enjoys laying under the desk, assisting me in my work. In the past I've caught her chewing on pieces of solder (I assume because it's sweet tasting). Now she brings them to me and drops them in my lap, but I still worry she might swallow them by accident, so I make a habit of running the vacuum after I build something, just to make sure there's nothing down there. :)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 11:59:16 pm »
Get a hard plastic or rubber mat to put under your work space so parts and bits do not fall into the carpet.  Home improvement stores carry large rubber mats and or search for "office chair mat".

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 12:08:22 am »
Keep away from that lead-free crap - the flux fumes are much worse than leaded solder. Lead in solder never hurt anyone.

yep from what I measured lead-free solder alone produces more particulate, then add to that the higher temperatures it gets even worse. Wash your hands after using lead and it should be fine.

OP: can you open a window when you are soldering? Also get a good smoke absorber (fan with carbon filter), unless you have a lot of money to blow on an industrial fume extractor.
This one is probably good but I haven't personally used it: https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FA400-04-Bench-ESD-Safe-Absorber/dp/B00FZPSEY4/
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 12:14:01 am »
In very many dorm rooms since the 1960s solder fumes are among the least of your worries in terms of atmospheric contaminants.  Between "mood altering" materials, incense, deodorant, air fresheners, microwave popcorn and a myriad of other things your lungs are under constant assault.

Offline hopski

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 12:17:16 am »
I did tons of soldering in my bedroom in my youth, just did it near open window.
Not much fun in the winter though.

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 02:05:45 am »
My Weller soldering iron has proper temperature control (not nothing or not just a simple light dimmer circuit) so it heats the rosin it does not incinerate it. I have been soldering with it in my work room or bedroom for 55 years and I am fine. A cheapo soldering iron makes smoke and does not solder properly. I soldered water pipes together one time with a butane torch which made lots of smoke like a cheapo electric soldering iron.

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 02:10:13 am »
"mood altering"
Nowadays I need to hold my breath when walking through a parking lot because of all the very strong Mary Wanna smoke there.

Offline hopski

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 02:59:17 pm »
Obviously the car parks over there are much more interesting. All we get over here is petrol fumes. ;)

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 12:08:41 am »
Obviously the car parks over there are much more interesting. All we get over here is petrol fumes. ;)
When I was in the UK there was diesel smoke all over the place.

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 02:54:05 pm »
The real issue is the flux fumes, not the solder. Don't get liquid flux  on your fingers, or allow flux fumes to rise directly up onto your face.

Solve this problem by buying a Cheapo Chineato USB fan from a $1 store or get one for free salvaging a small fan from an old PC Desktop power supply and then double-sided adhesive tape it somewhere out of the way, aimed just at the right angle to give a breeze that is just strong enough to blow the fumes away from your face.

To power a small PC P/S fan, use a 8V/ up to 12-volt discarded wallwart fitted with an on/off switch salvaged from the same PC power supply you got the fan from.

After soldering work in winter weather just air out the room and enjoy a splash of cold fresh air. In warmer weather just keep open a window.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf