Author Topic: Where are we now with the genuino/arduino mess? Any update?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline gb243Topic starter

• Contributor
Where are we now with the genuino/arduino mess? Any update?
« on: December 14, 2017, 12:40:38 pm »
Today I downloaded the arduino compiler and it asked for a financial donation. I know there is the community arduino (genuino outside the US) and the Italian arduino which is a single person.  How can I ensure that my donations and business only go with the community? If a board is from Europe and has the word arduino on it with the community logo is that the one to avoid?

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: Where are we now with the genuino/arduino mess? Any update?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 02:32:27 pm »
Wikipedia seems to suggest the two competing companies were merged in 2016.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: gb243

Offline gb243Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 03:45:13 pm »
I managed to miss that obvious update. Sorry....... :-[

Offline saike

• Regular Contributor

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 07:13:28 pm »
This is from a few months ago
https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/01/federico-musto-is-out-as-arduino-ceo/

And that saga has continued. After Musto was kicked out, Arduino AG (the company created through the prior merger of the two Arduino enemy camps) changed ownership: http://www.audioxpress.com/news/a-new-era-for-arduino-original-arduino-founders-finally-get-100-control

Allegedly all is well now, with the original founders being back in control. But I don't know -- if the Arduino boards were anywhere near as fickle as their creators, nobody would be using that platform...  ::)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 04:25:32 pm »
 They can be. I have all sorts and never had a problem, but I've avoided the absolute rock bottom cheapest Chinese ones. Since it's all OSH... I always work in Windows so I've not had a problem with the clones that use the CH-whatever USB chip, they've all just worked. Some of the Nanos I have look a little dodgy in the assembly and soldering department, but I guess I can't expect much when I paid less for each of those than I can get an ATMega328 bare chip for. So far every one from the 10 pack I bought has worked - it was a more expensive one that had a bad solder joint on a capacitor which I only made worse in an attempt to repair - SMD and my poor vision do not mix, lighted magnifier and microscope included. I really don't know what I am going to do with 10 Nanos, other than, at a cost of about 1USD each, not worry about accidentally frying a pin or two while prototyping things.

Offline saike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 06:42:32 pm »
I bought 12 Arduino approved  boards from a well known USA company a few years ago to try and avoid any quality problems, and 50% of them failed within a few weeks with a faulty oscillator. If the quality control checks don't go right back to the component suppliers the name on the board counts for nothing. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf