Author Topic: Soldering SMA connectors to pcb  (Read 16345 times)

Online wkb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Soldering SMA connectors to pcb
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 09:03:48 pm »
Fully agree!! No need for fusion-power irons, a Metcal will get this job done easily

Offline max_torque

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 09:57:10 am »
Just go an get a cheap DIY style hot air gun, the sort of thing used for paint stripping and other similar diy tasks.  Ideally,, get one with two heat settings.

Use this to heat up the pcb and connectors to around 100degC, then you'll find you can just solder everything together easily with a normal iron!

(be careful, do not hold the hot air gun too close or in one place for too long, it will toast the pcb!  Use it to warm the whole lot by holding it about 12" away and moving round in constant circular patterns.  After a couple of min heating (you'll quickl get a feel for how long things take to heat up) put the hot air gun down, break out the soldering iron and solder away!)

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 01:32:58 pm »
Fully agree!! No need for fusion-power irons, a Metcal will get this job done easily

Any decent station will do this easily. I have soldered both SMAs and BNCs to boards with my ERSA i-Con Nano, using a 2 or 3 mm chisel tip.

And even your favourite Metcal will suck at it if you use a 1mm conical tip, as the OP attempted. Conical tips are pretty much useless for most soldering because they make it very difficult to transfer heat to the joint.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf