Author Topic: Soldering station for a beginner  (Read 6786 times)

Offline yashrkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • A MAKER, AN ENGINEER, A HOBBYIST FOR LIFE
    • My Personal Blog
Soldering station for a beginner
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:11:19 pm »
Hey guys,
       I am a bit fed up with my soldering iron, its tip gets oxidized quickly and there is formation of a hole where I pre-tin the iron tip. So I decided to buy a good quality soldering iron, I was thinking about HAKKO 888D but its bit costly for me so I have to wait and save to buy it, I wanted to know whether there is good soldering station cheaper than 888D (91$-76$ online) so I can but it right away.

I haven't mentioned any budget because I don't want to buy any crappy iron any more so whichever iron you guys suggest will save money and buy it.

And should I look for any used irons on ebay?
Find me and things I'm working on - https://www.yashkudale.com/

Offline j1432

Re: Soldering station for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:41:52 pm »
I started with Radio Shack soldering irons and got tired of replacing the thing every couple of years and replacing tips every couple of months.  I switched to a 35 Watt Weller iron.  This was a lot better since the tips didn't wear out quickly but what eventually caused me to switch was that the thing that holds on the tip eventually wore out.   I decided to go for a 60 Watt Weller soldering station and it was night and day how much better it was.  I have no complaints at all about it.  It's currently out of your budget but would be worth saving for.  It heats up in something like 20 seconds and can deal with soldering thick leads easily. 

Offline SteveThing

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:54:55 pm »
The 888D is well worth the wait.  I was in the same exact boat you were.  I bought this and wondered how I was able to solder anything properly before.  It makes things SO much easier.  You will not regret it if you save up for it.

-Steve

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:39:54 pm »
Yeah, here in Europe the 220-240v Hakkos are expensive... 200 euro and up (250-300$).

Last year, I bought a Hakko 936 (genuine) on eBay from a guy in Israel. It works great, I just changed the plug to the European one (they use 220-240v in Israel but it's weird plug)

Last week I also bought a Pace HW-50 station with lots of accessories and bonuses for about $130. These are discontinued (I think they killed the HW line around 2006) but there's little that can break in a soldering station and tips and the handpiece are still available. Tips are cheap at about 10$ each on Farnell and other distributors... hakko tips are cheaper but these also have the heating element in the tip.
If you're lucky you can buy these for under $100 (in local currencies).

Tip: use ebay.co.uk , ebay.de , ebay.fr  ... some people list on regional versions of ebay and those items don't show up on ebay.com version and there's less competition.

A 888D is good. But the cheap ones are 110v.  If you don't have 110v it will cost you some money to make it work on your 220v electricity so be careful what you get.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 01:15:50 am »
If you don't have 110v it will cost you some money to make it work on your 220v electricity so be careful what you get.
+1  :-+

Soldering stations usually don't have multiple primaries on the transformer, which makes them voltage specific. Plugs can be changed easily and inexpensively if you get a 230V unit that won't fit your wall outlets, but if it's the wrong input voltage, you'll have to find a suitable replacement transformer to swap in, rewind the existing transformer, or use an external step down transformer to make a 110/120V model work in 230/240V countries (easiest method; buy & plug it in the wall, and the station in it = done). Makes buying US models a lot less attractive when it's all said and done, but it is doable, and may still save you a little money if you find the right deals.

IMHO, you'd probably do best by finding a used model on eBay or elsewhere that has enough of what's necessary to make it work (base + iron as a bare minimum), and be sure tips are still being made and available in your location. Brands such as Ersa, Weller, JBC, and Metcal would be ones to look for (have all sold quite a few 230V stations over the years).

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 01:55:29 am »
I have an Xtronic that I feel is a good station. Its like $80. It also comes with some stuff like a magnifying lamp and tips. I also have an edsyn 951sx which is a great station.  If money were not a matter I would choose the Edsyn over the Hakko. It may not be digital but its a beast at 95 watts.

Offline zelthk

Offline rakesh

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:05:26 am »
you could find pluto mc 555 soldering station in india. They are about 60-70$ i guess, we use it in our production environments,they are quite reliable and they have a better temperature control. These soldering stations are used continuously 8 hours a day in my work place. Hence I think for a beginner like you it would be more than sufficient which would last more than 2 to 3 years.

Offline Seg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 08:45:42 am »
In a fit of compromise I bought an Aoyue 937+ about a year ago, you can get them for about $60 USD. Was less than $10 more than the 936 at the time, for a little more wattage.

I was regretting buying it for a while, it worked at first but then started cutting out more and more. Finally figured out it was a bad solder joint in the handle, huge blob of solder on it with the wire straight through it but it wasn't actually bonded to the wire, resulting in an intermittent connection. Had to use a friends battery powered soldering iron to re-do the joint, and it has been reliable ever since.

I've never used a proper Hakko, but hey it's way better than the cheap Weller pens I've used until now. (That I can not find tips for anymore, a large part of the reason I justified buying a proper temp controlled station...) Heats up plenty fast, and no guessing when the iron is ready.

If you really need to skimp, Aoyue is okay, but expect to have to clean up some shoddy workmanship with Aoyue products. ::)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 12:30:59 pm »
I agree with Wilfred.  Keep everything separate.  I would tell you to wait and save and at least get the Hakko FX-888D.  Anything less and you might find that you are disappointed in the performance, save more money and then buy the Hakko anyway.  Now you are out the original amount spent for the cheap soldering station.  Unless there is a dire need now, save for the better equipment and avoid the disappointment.  Too many people just look at price.  I tend to take the long view and look at total cost of ownership.  For example, will it take longer to heat up and is the thermal recovery slower.  Are the tips of lesser quality and you have to work harder to solder.  Are parts going to wear out in a year or less and then you have to repair it, borrowing or buying a second iron.  My Hakko 936 (real deal not a clone) is about 6 or 7 years old now and works just as it did when new.  I still have my original tips, again real Hakko, not the $2 clones.  Granted I don't solder every day but it is nice to know that when I turn it on, it just works.  That alone is worth the extra money.  Once the shiny newness wears off, you still should be able to enjoy using the tool, whatever it is.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline yashrkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • A MAKER, AN ENGINEER, A HOBBYIST FOR LIFE
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 01:47:53 pm »
Ohk but I stay in India and I cant find any one who ships it to India ?
Find me and things I'm working on - https://www.yashkudale.com/

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
I'm electronically illiterate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf