Author Topic: Soldering wire to camera  (Read 15625 times)

Offline MidasTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Soldering wire to camera
« on: January 26, 2015, 05:45:42 am »
Hello I have been trying to solder some wires to a camera and I am having trouble. In the first photo, I tried to just solder on top of the edges of the button I guess you can say, but I have been unsuccessful D:. The second photo I have an idea where to solder its the square button which is the shutter button. I bought soldering paste to see if that will work, but I am still having trouble. I put the paste on the wire and tried to put it on the joint to solder to the shutter  |O still not doing the job. Any tips I assume I am doing right I have soldered before so it shouldn't be too hard :-//

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
Re: Soldering wire to camera
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:55:40 am »
It is hard to tell from the photos, but if you think that there is not enough solder on the pads of the button to hold the wire (it looks that way to me) then apply some additional solder to the pad first (use flux). Next, bring your (pre-tinned) wire in position and reheat the pad (do not forget to apply some flux again) with the solder to tack on the wire. Done.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:58:53 am by elgonzo »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:44:54 am »
I am still having issues I got it to stick but its a bit sticky I guess that means its not soldered all the way  :-// I would think so :/

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:56:53 am »
Do not use soldering paste.  Use just plain old solder wire.

Also, perhaps this sounds silly, but it's kinda what it looks like -  you're not trying to solder on top of the button are you?  The button tops are covered in kapton (polyamide, yellow-gold colour) heat resistant tape, which you're not going to solder through.

Solder to the feet of the buttons, not the top.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:40:24 am »

Also, perhaps this sounds silly, but it's kinda what it looks like -  you're not trying to solder on top of the button are you?  The button tops are covered in kapton (polyamide, yellow-gold colour) heat resistant tape, which you're not going to solder through.

;D no I am not I am trying to solder at the edges like in diagram not on top of button. I used soldering paste cause it was user to use I had a hard time balancing the soldering wire and the soldering iron and the camera  |O. since its already stuck to camera do you think I can add the soldering wire on top or would I need to remove everyrhing if so how would I go about it.

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:25:21 am »
You should try to clamp the camera in place. Use some heavy books on either side, or even some tacky plasticine (around here it's called blu-tack or yellow-tack). It will make things a lot easier.

What iron are you using? What temperature? What solder paste?

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:23:30 am »

;D no I am not I am trying to solder at the edges like in diagram not on top of button. I used soldering paste cause it was user to use I had a hard time balancing the soldering wire and the soldering iron and the camera  |O. since its already stuck to camera do you think I can add the soldering wire on top or would I need to remove everyrhing if so how would I go about it.

I am having a hard time understanding what you want? Is your iron not hot enough to flow the solder on the board? Or are you having issues with knowing where to solder to depending on what you want done?
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 11:39:07 pm »
You should try to clamp the camera in place. Use some heavy books on either side, or even some tacky plasticine (around here it's called blu-tack or yellow-tack). It will make things a lot easier.

What iron are you using? What temperature? What solder paste?

I am using this paste
http://www.radioshack.com/2-oz-non-spill-rosin-soldering-paste-flux/6400022.html#.VMlycqrnZMs

I am using this soldering iron
http://www.radioshack.com/weller-bp650nb-battery-powered-soldering-iron/6400253.html#q=weller&simplesearch=Go&start=6

There is no temperature modifier on this one its just an on and off switch.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 11:42:23 pm »

In the encircled yellow marker, I plan to solder on those 2 points that is a dot in the color of black and red.

I am having a hard time understanding what you want? Is your iron not hot enough to flow the solder on the board? Or are you having issues with knowing where to solder to depending on what you want done?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:04 pm »
This is my work using the paste then I tested the structure and nothing happened I hooked up 1.5 V battery holder to it and put batteries to make a sensor on a breadboard go off and nothing happened. Basically I planned on creating a camera that had a sensor that detects motion. Once it detected motion it took a picture.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 11:53:57 pm »
Was that the thickest wire you could find?

No seriously, use a thinner, preferably solid wire - size-wise, a strand of that big-ass wire you are using would be more than enough.
("big-ass" is meant in relation to the size of the solder pads of the button)

Also, are you sure that you soldered to the right pads? Hard to tell from the pictures... Remember, two of each pads of these types of button are usually shorted- so if you soldered both wires to a pair of shorted pads it won't work.

Look carefully on the PCB - often you can identify button pads which are connected to GND. This will help you determining the orientation of the button and thus help you to figure out which pads you should solder to.

Or, much simpler, just solder the wires on the pads that are diagonally across the button. This way it is not possible to even accidentally solder to two pads that are shorted.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:16:02 am by elgonzo »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:07 am »
Was that the thickest wire you could find?

No seriously, use a thinner, preferably solid wire - size-wise, a strand of that big-ass wire you are using would be more than enough.
("big-ass" is meant in relation to the size of the solder pads of the button)

Also, are you sure that you soldered to the right pads? Hard to tell from the pictures... Remember, two of each pads of these types of button are usually shorted- so if you soldered both wires to a pair of shorted pads it won't work.

Look carefully on the PCB - often you can identify button pads which are connected to GND. This will help you determining the orientation of the button and thus help you to figure out which pads you should solder to.

Or, much simpler, just solder the wires on the pads that are diagonally across the button. This way it is not possible to even accidentally solder to two pads that are shorted.

I am a bit lost by the words your using cause they are a bit too advanced for me. I assumed I was wiring in the correct place cause I used a multimeter to measure the voltage across the button. That was the thinnest wire I could fine that wasn't too small for the breadboard

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 03:04:24 am »
breadboard

Oookay, it looks rough but appears to be soldered, so

1. What are you trying to achieve
2. What is happening at the moment that it is not achieving your goal
3. What is on your breadboard (circuit diagram, or at least a block diagram/rough sketch and a photo)
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 03:52:29 am »
breadboard

Oookay, it looks rough but appears to be soldered, so

1. What are you trying to achieve
2. What is happening at the moment that it is not achieving your goal
3. What is on your breadboard (circuit diagram, or at least a block diagram/rough sketch and a photo)

I am trying to connect the sensor to a digital camera, so the camera will take a picture when it detects motion. The issue I am having now is that it wont take a picture that is the issue I am having now. The circuit diagram I followed was this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/circuit-board-help/?action=dlattach;attach=123853;image

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 03:58:41 am »
First make sure the wires do what they need to do.

If you take the cables that you wired and you short them for a bit, does the camera take the snapshot?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 04:07:16 am »

If you take the cables that you wired and you short them for a bit, does the camera take the snapshot?

Short them a bit? I am sorry im not familiar with that word like I am but I am not sure how to test that.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 04:42:21 am »
is it possible that your sensor sinks to ground on its S_OUT input?  I know a digital Hall Sensor does that.  In that case, you would need to have a pull-up resistor to 5volts or so.  You may also need an inverter so that the mosfet only turns on once the sensor sinks it's output to ground.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 04:47:04 am »
is it possible that your sensor sinks to ground on its S_OUT input?  I know a digital Hall Sensor does that.  In that case, you would need to have a pull-up resistor to 5volts or so.  You may also need an inverter so that the mosfet only turns on once the sensor sinks it's output to ground.

:palm: you spoke a different language to me sir. So an inverter I am not familiar with at all and im going to see what type of resistor I have.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 04:53:22 am »

Short them a bit? I am sorry im not familiar with that word like I am but I am not sure how to test that.

If you connect the other ends of the wires for as long as it takes to press the button it should act the same as pressing the button and it should take a picture if the wires are soldered in the right place.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 04:57:55 am »
I am trying to connect the sensor to a digital camera,

What sensor?  Provide a link to the datasheet.

Short them a bit? I am sorry im not familiar with that word like

"Short" in this context means to join the two wires together manually for a brief moment to make sure that it triggers.

The circuit diagram I followed was this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/circuit-board-help/?action=dlattach;attach=123853;image

Are you certain you have the wires in the correct order?
~~~

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 04:58:51 am »

If you connect the other ends of the wires for as long as it takes to press the button it should act the same as pressing the button and it should take a picture if the wires are soldered in the right place.

Ok I don't get what you mean if you connect the other ends but I understand the rest. Do you feel I need to use actual solder instead of paste as someone said earlier? I will try to find some smaller wires as well but I don't think the wires will fit into the breadboard if I get any smaller.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 05:00:15 am »
I am trying to connect the sensor to a digital camera,

What sensor?  Provide a link to the datasheet.

Short them a bit? I am sorry im not familiar with that word like

"Short" in this context means to join the two wires together manually for a brief moment to make sure that it triggers.

The circuit diagram I followed was this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/circuit-board-help/?action=dlattach;attach=123853;image

Are you certain you have the wires in the correct order?

http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-passive-infrared-sensor/2760347.html#.VMm-KarnZMs

I can check again I am pretty positive I can also post picture so you can see

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 05:02:02 am »
Ok I don't get what you mean if you connect the other ends

1. You have two wires soldered in place into the camera at one end, and plugged into the breadboard at the other.
2. At the breadboard, take the wires going to the camera out of the breadboard
3. Turn the camera on and get it ready to take a picture
4. Hold the ends of the wires you took out of the breadboard
5. Touch the two wires together for a brief moment
6. See if the camera takes the picture.

~~~

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 05:06:00 am »
An inverter has 4 pins. PWR, GND, IN, and OUT.  Simply put, it takes a signal and reverses it.  So If you had voltage IN, it would show ground on its OUT.

If you used a or I think you could forget the inverter, and use a P-Channel Mosfet.

So something like this maybe.....

This, of course, is if your sensors OUT sinks to ground.  What happens is the +5V will supply the P-Channel mosFET with power, making no current flow through the mosFET. Once the sensor is activated, it sinks that +5volts to ground through the sensor, and the mosFET will then see a ground and allow current to flow through it. 

Does that make sense to you?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 05:09:45 am »
Ok I don't get what you mean if you connect the other ends

1. You have two wires soldered in place into the camera at one end, and plugged into the breadboard at the other.
2. At the breadboard, take the wires going to the camera out of the breadboard
3. Turn the camera on and get it ready to take a picture
4. Hold the ends of the wires you took out of the breadboard
5. Touch the two wires together for a brief moment
6. See if the camera takes the picture.

|O no it don't. I have been having issues trying to solder the wires to the pad for weeks :'(
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:13:07 am by Midas »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf