Author Topic: Sony e reader lines on screen  (Read 3345 times)

Offline G7PSKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
Sony e reader lines on screen
« on: October 05, 2013, 05:04:12 pm »
Hi my wifes e reader has developed a fault, despite virtually never being used the screen has black lines across it, I purchased it a few years ago as a present for her and all that has been done is bring it out for battery charging occasionally. I got it out the other day to read some pdf's away from the computer and found these lines and the battery was flat charging the battery and pressing the reset button won't clear them. Any suggestions other than try connecting it to a very high voltage source or using it for clay pigeon practice. :-DD 
It does have an amazing number of test points on the back of the board. :-DMM

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Sony e reader lines on screen
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:22:27 pm »
Try a few page refreshes and see if the display responds, and check if there is a poor connection to the display flex. It is possible that as the battery died the controller switched on random outputs and passed DC through those parts of the display and permanently damaged it. A few refresh cycles with pages might reduce or cure it.

Otherwise a parcel to Dave will be in order, he has not done one of those yet, just the kindle cousin.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 05:33:45 pm »
Tried a few page refreshes already before taking it apart, as you suggest put it in the post not sure if I will put it together though as it has dozens of screws as well as double sided tape to hold it together Sony did not mean for this to come apart not even for battery replacement.
One thing I am intrigued by is what voltage is used to drive the screen, there would seem to be smps in the line to the screen driver that is far larger than the one from the battery and power input.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:36:22 pm by G7PSK »

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 05:55:56 pm »
Have you tried a soft or hard reset .

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31728/c/65,66/p/73878,73904,73905/

You could buy a replacement panel if a hard/soft reset doesnt work, the part number is "LB050S01" afaik, its an LG panel , ive seen some on ebay but might be cheaper from aliexpress .

service guide:

http://projects.mobileread.com/reader/users/porkupan/PRS300/PRS-300_sm.pdf

According to the service guide the "look up table" (LUT) needs rewriting if a new panel or mainboard is fitted .

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 07:47:35 pm »
The power control circuit is dud so it's on it's way to Dave for a tear down and a fault finding etc if he wants to. :-BROKE

Offline arkanix38

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 11:20:29 pm »
Have you checked the flat flex cable connecting the LCD to the driver board? I am reminded of missing rows on a Gameboy DMG for some reason. Run a q-tip along the connector and see if you see any changes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 07:40:16 am »
Done all of that, the battery wont charge and it wont turn on and work with an external power supply but the battery will take charge when connected outside the unit and there appears to be nothing wrong with the batteries own onboard safety circuit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf