Author Topic: ST 27C256B - CMOS or TTL ?  (Read 3101 times)

Offline netdudeukTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
ST 27C256B - CMOS or TTL ?
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:40:55 am »
Hi

I'm looking for some 32KB EPROMS for an NMOS 6502 project and have looked at the data sheet ( http://www.thierry-lequeu.fr/data/27C256.pdf ) for the ST 27C256B EPROM.

However, there is talk about both TTL and CMOS levels.  So, the question is, will these work ok with my NMOS 6502 and other TTL (buffer) chips, etc ?

Thanks

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: ST 27C256B - CMOS or TTL ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 02:59:16 pm »
Look at page 5 - Vil, Vih, Vol, and Voh. The reason they mention both CMOS and TTL for Voh is because TTL usually needs more current sourced from its output than CMOS.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 03:44:15 pm »
Thanks Amy.

So, referring to the same V values here https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/logic-levels/ttl-logic-levels it looks like I'm good to go.  Right ?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:57:03 pm »
Look at page 5 - Vil, Vih, Vol, and Voh. The reason they mention both CMOS and TTL for Voh is because TTL usually needs more current sourced from its output than CMOS.
TTL does not take any current in for a HIGH level... it DELIVERS current for a low level.
This is a common misconception.

the input if a true TTL gate is the emitter of a transistor. if you apply a logic '1' no current goes in. if you pull it low you send the transistor in conduction.
that is why you need to go as low as 2.4 volts anything above that does not turn the transistor on
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 10:19:14 pm »
So I'm good to go ?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:54:58 pm »
TTL does not take any current in for a HIGH level... it DELIVERS current for a low level.
This is a common misconception.

the input if a true TTL gate is the emitter of a transistor. if you apply a logic '1' no current goes in. if you pull it low you send the transistor in conduction.
that is why you need to go as low as 2.4 volts anything above that does not turn the transistor on
The transistor is leakier than the gate of a MOSFET.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:30:19 pm »
All that means is that the drive out is enough to either drive a CMOS input to well within it's switching levels, ie over 80% and below 20% or over 4V and below 1V, under all conditions. It can also drive TTL to it's levels of over 2.4V high and below 0.8V low as well.

Basically it will recognise any input voltage over 2.4V as high and below 1V as low. Outputs will drive to at least 4V with the rated load and will pull down to 0.8V with the rated load. Your typical TTL terminator is a 330R resistor to 5V and a 220R to ground, with the common point being the bus. Funny thing with the DIP and SIL terminators with plain resistors is they still work if put in backwards, just the floating voltage is wrong. This may not be noticed for a long time or may only give a very occasional random error.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf