Author Topic: Standard breadboards and wire size  (Read 10599 times)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
Re: Standard breadboards and wire size
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 01:11:02 am »
I have started using these jumpers from Adafruit. I use the 6" ones which are currently out of stock. They also have 3" and 12" jumpers.

Can you check the resistance, just for a rough comparison?  These cheap dupont wire I measured are "20cm/7.87".
I have some with different wire gauge (bought at different times). They very from 0.1 to 0.9 ohms for 6" jumpers. The last ones I bought are the heaver gauge wire but higher resistance. They don't seem to be crimped as well.

Thanks. Variance is expected, although that's a bit of variance, possibly different materials?
No. It's the crimp. It changes with a tug on the wire. Some are much higher. 10s of ohms.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 05:13:13 am »
I like flexible jumpers with stiff terminals. I get them off eBay. They fail after a while. If something goes wrong, I know it's probably a jumper. Solid jumpers break inside the insulation.
Anything truly new begins as a thought.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 01:48:21 am »
I have started using these jumpers from Adafruit. I use the 6" ones which are currently out of stock. They also have 3" and 12" jumpers.

Can you check the resistance, just for a rough comparison?  These cheap dupont wire I measured are "20cm/7.87".
I have some with different wire gauge (bought at different times). They very from 0.1 to 0.9 ohms for 6" jumpers. The last ones I bought are the heaver gauge wire but higher resistance. They don't seem to be crimped as well.

Thanks. Variance is expected, although that's a bit of variance, possibly different materials?
No. It's the crimp. It changes with a tug on the wire. Some are much higher. 10s of ohms.
Not as cheap, but you could DIY your own with better quality materials and tools. FWIW, there's even small gauge silicone insulated wire available on eBay and similar sites if you prefer (down to 30AWG on eBay).

Oh, and an Engineer PA-09 crimp tool will make nice crimps without having to spend a small fortune if you need something that'll do small open barrel terminals.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 02:00:06 am »
I like flexible jumpers with stiff terminals. I get them off eBay. They fail after a while. If something goes wrong, I know it's probably a jumper. Solid jumpers break inside the insulation.

When a solid jumper fails, if you are using wire with similar insulation thickness to Ethernet or phone twisted pair, it will develop a floppy spot at the break or the stripped end falls off.  As long as you check the wire is still its normal stiffness and its ends are still firm so you don't break them off in the breadboard, there's far far less chance of a solid jumper giving you bad connection trouble compared to a stranded one with crimped Dupont pins.

The only stuff that *NEEDS* stranded wire jumpers is off-board connections like programming cables that are going to be moved frequently.   Even without a crimp tool, you can make up you own with whatever connector is needed for the programmer end and individual pins removed from a header at the breadboard end. Tin the wire end and lap solder it on the side of the pin then sleeve with small bore heatshrink covering half the pin and going 1/2" up the wire to provide strain relief + something to grip the pin by.  Obviously, if you've got the crimp tooling for Dupont pins, they are quicker and easier.

Offline kalelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 10:51:10 am »
I would like to use solid wire as possibly one of the cheaper but also easier solution than DIY.
I am looking for as affordable as possible rather than quality here. I don't need silicone, for example, unless it's really necessary for some case.

I looked for solid core/single core wire on eBay "China", and what I found was AWG 30. Maybe I'm bad at searching. I'm running into stranded 99% of the time, it's probably the more common type used.

Wire Material: Tinned copper
Core Number: 8
Gauge: 30AWG
Copper Core Dia.: 0.25mm
Cable Max. Outer Dia.: 0.6mm
Nominal Cross Section: 0.05mm²
Cable Length: Approx. 280meters

The title says "8 wires" with 8 colors, so probably not 8 strands.
It's about $4-6 for those 280 meters. It seems affordable, but from what I gather here, awg 30 is likely too small for this purpose.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 11:29:35 am »

Not as cheap, but you could DIY your own with better quality materials and tools. FWIW, there's even small gauge silicone insulated wire available on eBay and similar sites if you prefer (down to 30AWG on eBay).

Oh, and an Engineer PA-09 crimp tool will make nice crimps without having to spend a small fortune if you need something that'll do small open barrel terminals.
Thanks. Can anyone identify the exact part number they're using? And already have this crimp tool.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 11:58:14 am »
Not as cheap, but you could DIY your own with better quality materials and tools.

Of course much cheaper and far more reliable joints can be made very easily: soldered joints in rats nest / dead bug / manhattan techniques. 

Such circuits also have the benefit of a much better electrical environment, so you spend your time debugging your design, not debugging the solderless breadboard. That's why experienced engineers use those techniques!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: kalel

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2017, 10:59:28 pm »
I would like to use solid wire as possibly one of the cheaper but also easier solution than DIY.
I am looking for as affordable as possible rather than quality here. I don't need silicone, for example, unless it's really necessary for some case.
I just like the flexibility vs. PVC for test leads.

I looked for solid core/single core wire on eBay "China", and what I found was AWG 30. Maybe I'm bad at searching. I'm running into stranded 99% of the time, it's probably the more common type used.
The title says "8 wires" with 8 colors, so probably not 8 strands.
It's about $4-6 for those 280 meters. It seems affordable, but from what I gather here, awg 30 is likely too small for this purpose.
30AWG is too small IME for a solderless breadboard. That said, it is really useful for soldered prototyping to make your connections.

Type in the AWG you're looking for, and add either "wire wrapping wire" or "Kynar" (the type of insulation used; similar to Teflon/PTFE, but a LOT easier to strip).

Some examples:* Recommended for prototyping/bodge wire, not in a solderless breadboard IMHO.

Thanks. Can anyone identify the exact part number they're using? And already have this crimp tool.
Off-hand, I don't have a specific P/N for what they're using in China to make the stranded jumpers.

That said, check out JST.  ;) Molex would be another.

Regarding your crimp tool, they seem to be all over the place in terms of whether or not they even work. Hope yours does.  8)

Of course much cheaper and far more reliable joints can be made very easily: soldered joints in rats nest / dead bug / manhattan techniques. 

Such circuits also have the benefit of a much better electrical environment, so you spend your time debugging your design, not debugging the solderless breadboard. That's why experienced engineers use those techniques!
Of course, and this is what I prefer to do.  >:D Regarding IC's, I tend to opt for an inexpensive adapter board found on eBay and such, and attach it to a double sided 0.110/2.54mm pitch PTH protoboard (also cheap on eBay,...).

But given the nature of the thread, I limited my answers as others may not be using any/many SMD components (IC's or otherwise).

The following users thanked this post: kalel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf