Author Topic: Starting a new beginner lab  (Read 22166 times)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Starting a new beginner lab
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2013, 02:32:30 am »
Maturola, I am new to getting back to basic electronics and relearning oscilloscopes so I don't yet have too much to say on it.  I like the size and portability.  I am still learning the functions and it is getting easier to work through the menus.  The biggest plus for me is the LCD screen.  I have to turn the intensity on the analog scopes way down so they don't bother my eyes.  Overall, I am happy with my purchase.  I guess I will like it more as I learn it more.

Tom, NW0LF
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline makerimages

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2014, 12:37:06 pm »
makerimages

As a small aside I still have a 'Zilog Z80-CPU Programming Reference Card' from when I ordered a Z80 microprocessor in 1974. Since it was the IC I used to homebrew my first real computer I couldn't bear to part with it when everything else had to go.

Memories are made of this :P
:O? mind digitalizing it? Please?

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »
http://www.ballyalley.com/ml/z80_docs/Z80%20CPU%20Instant%20Reference%20Card%20%28Grayscale%29.pdf

Interesting. I still have fully functional programmable calculator that runs on Z80 compatible cpu... I think im going to give that char some try :)
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2014, 03:05:32 pm »
I'm with everyone in the "take your time" camp.  I won't be going bananas, spending it all in a day.  I'm plenty stupid, but I'm not that stupid.

I guess what I'm after is more of a "given that budget, and those projects, a good DSO would be _____" as an example.   

Truthfully, most of the projects I have on the plate are digital, and will require as much software development as hardware development, but as I gain confidence, I'm going to start tackling the arcade monitor chassis project, and that's got to be 100% analog.

No offense but that is the WORST advice I've ever seen. You should never advise anyone to sell their analog scope. I wish I had one! I'm glad to see the OP is ignoring this bad piece of advice.

What is the main reason, for their usefulness or as collector items?

I used analog scopes professionally for few years, including ones with memory memory, but since I started to use DSOs am not looking back.

Good question.  I've no idea, but there's gotta be something.  Doesn't matter, though; I like the look of it and I'm keeping it, even though there are better models available with more features for less money.

As an arcade enthusiast - one feature of analog scopes you could use is the X/Y mode controlled with an arduino so you can use it to play all the old Atari vector games like Asteroids, Battlezone, Tempest, etc. That would be really cool.

Besides, things like persistence and intensity for catching glitches are free. Ok I know the more expensive DSOs are coming out which can emulate persistence, but meh.

It's nice to have two scopes anyway. Sometimes you just need more channels.

Also why sell it when you really won't get much for it anyway?

Offline RigbyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2014, 03:49:56 pm »
I have three analog scopes now, and a digital.  They're all excellent, though two are very similar and are pretty much redundant.

The one I had when I wrote the above post is a Tek 7633, which I still have and am probably never getting rid of.  It's not seen much use.  I also have a Tek 7623 which is very similar, but it has seen a great deal of use and is not in such great shape.  Those are both 100MHz mainframes, but the plugins are all over the place.  Third is a very light, very portable Panasonic VP-5610P 3-channel 100MHz scope.  Fourth is a Rigol D1104Z-S.

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »
makerimages

The 6 PDF files are approx 23Mb. This is over the attachment limit. If you post your email I'll send them direct.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2014, 10:07:43 pm »
makerimages

The 6 PDF files are approx 23Mb. This is over the attachment limit. If you post your email I'll send them direct.

Scribd is your friend

http://www.scribd.com/upload-document

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2014, 10:35:20 pm »
As seen above Rigby has offered to host the files which have been forwarded to him tonight.

The original is 700x215mm, comprising of 8 double sided 87.5x215mm pages.

Please note that they have been scanned as well as my equipment is able to achieve considering that I had covered the 40 year thin old cardboard original in a transparent self adhesive film many years ago, to preserve the 'hinges', which is somewhat reflective. Note there is some overlap in the scanning..

If there is anything unreadable let me know and I will try to clarify.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 12:32:33 am »
Forget the Rigol power supply and get (2) HP 6114A and  (2) HP 6115A power supplies for the same money.  Don't worry about the prices you see it is doable with patience.  They can be used together up to 280V and can do any kind of tracking series/parallel known to man.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 12:46:43 am »
I wound up getting 2 HP 6286As, an HP 6114A, an HP 6201B and I did get the Rigol DP832.

The 6282As get the most use by far.  They are not precision supplies, one of them doesn't even regulate properly, but I don't care.  0-20V @ 0-10A covers virtually everything for me, and they're small enough that I can move them around easily.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 01:33:34 am »
Earlier in the thread, someone suggested handtools.

If you have some money, blow a little on some quality pliers.  There's another thread that covers people's favorites, but vendors like Lindstrom, Schmitz or, at the lower end, Excelta are good.  I've been using noname low end pliers for years, but recently sprung $30 for a pair of Exceltas and I can't believe the difference.  Now I'm looking at getting a pair of Lindstroms.

Ditto on the HP power supply.  I have an older 6236b triple output supply.  I had to replace a couple of output caps, but the +/- rails track within a couple of milivolts.  I have a couple of others, but I use the HP the most.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 01:50:06 am »
That's a good rule for most tools.  My rule is:

Quote from: self
Pay for what you need, at the quality you need it, and pay no more.  Don't short yourself on one-time expenses.  If you go cheap, it's you who will suffer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf