Author Topic: Stepper Motor Power  (Read 1249 times)

Offline BLangford11Topic starter

Stepper Motor Power
« on: June 24, 2017, 09:05:12 pm »
I'm currently doing a school project that will involve me using a couple of stepper motors and while doing my research I couldn't find anywhere that lists how to power them. My budget is fairly tight so I don't want to go out and buy the wrong thing that'll be expensive. Is there a specific power supply I need for a stepper motor? Do I have to buy a power supply for each motor or can I run both off of one?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: Stepper Motor Power
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:11:59 pm »
The answer to what you need is going to depend on which stepper motors you buy and what kind of drivers you're using to run them.
The driver solution will have an input for motor power.
Once you figure that out, you should be able to use one supply for both motors.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:13:55 pm by Nusa »

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: Stepper Motor Power
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 10:37:22 pm »
Do I have to buy a power supply for each motor or can I run both off of one?

Should be able to use a single supply.

Many issues, high currents in the drivers, L effects creating large transients, google driving
stepper motors, and PCB layout techniques. Latter to keep transients out of digital electronics.

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf