Author Topic: Stopping Solid State Relay Leakage Current  (Read 10752 times)

Offline Con CurrentTopic starter

Stopping Solid State Relay Leakage Current
« on: June 05, 2016, 06:09:08 pm »
Hi
I'm hoping someone can guide me to a solution to stop my SSR from leaking current. 

The problem is that every 5 seconds I get a flash from the security light when it's not powered, on reading the data sheet I believe that it's caused by a 3ma current leakage from the SSR. 

I've read some other topics and believe a resistor (2.2ohm 10watt) may help, I'm not confident that I would pick the right resistor and put it in the correct location.

SSR:- Fotek SSR-10DA 
Security Light: LED, 10 Watt, 240v AC

I've included a picture of the circuit, any assistance appreciated. 

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Stopping Solid State Relay Leakage Current
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 06:22:57 pm »
Use a mechanical relay!

There is NO practical way of stopping the leakage current, you can only divert it, which wastes power.    You could try a 330nF Class X2 capacitor across the light's L and N terminals, which will keep the voltage across the light due to the leakage current under 30V, which may be enough to stop it flashing.

The following users thanked this post: Con Current

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 08:26:40 pm »
As mentioned above, all one can do is to shunt/direct current around the lamp or use mechanical means. Methods like R+C in parallel to both SSR and lamp or shunt resistor across the lamp are suggested here
Results depends on lamp internal construction, no guarantees methods above will work perfectly in your specific case. Just be careful with component values, ratings and installation quality - if done incorrectly, it can be much worse or even dangerous from fire/electrocution perspective.

Sometimes lights starts flashing randomly even with mechanical switches (because minuscule amount of leakage current is flowing) - DPST switch or capacitor (or C+R) in parallel should solve such issue.

The following users thanked this post: Con Current

Offline Con CurrentTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:29:11 pm »
Ok, thanks Ian.M and electr_peter, I looked at Big Clives Fotek SSR breakdown but didn't see this one about the LED lights.

I'll try a mechanical relay, it's probably going to be safer in the long run. 
Cheers

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf