Author Topic: Suggestion on variation of the 858D to get?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline solarityTopic starter

• Contributor
Suggestion on variation of the 858D to get?
« on: July 10, 2018, 04:55:47 pm »
I am new to this hobby and I came by the videos posted on youtube. It is great content and it amazing to see how this black magic art is unraveled into science. I also noticed I am being corrected by people I know about the proper pronunciation of "Solder". I never really thought about it much, though a coworker and I started discussing it and I guess my brain was reprogrammed from saying "Sodder" to "Solder" by watching so many of the video blogs. We looked up and found the US pronunciation is different than apparently how the rest of the world pronounces "Solder".

Anyway after trying to do it myself w/o any guidance, I started to watch some videos and would like to get more into it. I am playing on making a small lab/bench with a Hako 888D and 858D. For the 858D I do see some concerns about the fuse not installed properly and that I should check to see if it is properly grounded. I also see there are a lot of variations of the different types/styles of 858D. I see some have a modular connector for the heat gun and some have different fuses laid out. I know I will need the 110v version as I am in the US. Are there really that many variations or this this a successful knock off that has been knocked off by many other companies?

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
Re: Suggestion on variation of the 858D to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:28:09 pm »
I just bought the cheapest one - and I checked the wiring on mine was very good and properly grounded/fused.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:39:33 pm »
We looked up and found the US pronunciation is different than apparently how the rest of the world pronounces "Solder".
Don't worry about it.   It falls into the same category as words like 'tomato' and 'router' and the letter 'Z'....

Online KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:40:28 pm »
We looked up and found the US pronunciation is different than apparently how the rest of the world pronounces "Solder".
Yes, and you caved. I still remember learning how to pronounce solder (sodder) before I knew what solder was, back in grade school. I bet you were formally taught this, as well. This and other anti-British teachings were probably instilled since 1776, or whatnot. :)

I used metrologist's method on my 858D. I love it.

I also bought a cheaper 858 (Analogue), and it was a bit shoddy. Gave that one away.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 03:03:51 am »
If you are going to buy a Hakko, be careful where you get it. There are supposed to be many counterfeits on ebay and the like. Some are said to be pretty good copies, but if you need warranty work you will be sol. The real deal are great irons.

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 04:47:23 am »
I just bought the cheapest one - and I checked the wiring on mine was very good and properly grounded/fused.
I have the Yisha iirc, for 80-90 off ebay (too hunger to check), something like that, I never checked inside yet, what's supposed to be in there, and are some of these 858Ds known to have bad wiring/safety  ?

Offline CCB

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:30:42 am »
Or spend a little more and get a QUICK 957DW - I've got one and it's great.

Offline solarityTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 01:11:44 pm »
Thanks for the info, I will buy the cheapest 110v ebay 858D and test the connections.

I did read about problems with Fakkos, so I am going the official supply route with that. I have used my old cheapo solder iron for a while and I don't mind spending money on a soldering iron as I will use it, even if this is a hobby I don't stick with.

Offline +Mikie

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 02:15:49 pm »
I bought this one on the logic "if one of them is crap, they all will be, so might as well get the cheapest one and fix it". Oh, and because I already have an iron and not much room left on the desk, so...

Low and behold, the earth wire was soldered to a STEEL barrel. Or was soldered. Maybe. Hard to tell. There was a ball of solder on the end of the dangling wire and that's it. Needless to say, we have 240V here so doubly painful if it all goes south. I soldered a spade connector to the end of it and made 2 small longitudinal cuts in the barrel to get a small "tongue" on which to connect it. To be honest, the fiberglass around the hot gun heater was wrapped around 3 times and I can't imagine how a heater could possibly make contact with the barrel, but still... just because I don't see it, it doesn't mean it can't happen, right?

On the other hand, the damn thing works ok and pretty stable temperature too. I don't think tips will last very long, but I can live with that. Oh, and it isn't anywhere near 750W as advertised. Pulls maybe 450W when cold. But it works ok, I have no complaints for the price.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 05:24:18 pm »
Ali has one for $18 and $36 shipping to US.   \$\Omega\$

Offline Harvey17

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 05:37:57 pm »
Anyone have any suggestings for reducing the airfow amount on one of these? I'm finding when using the smallest nozzle that its blowing componets around even with airfow on miminum.  I've not tried the obvious way of blocking the intake as yet, but unless anyone can suggest anything else I'll have to try that.

Offline +Mikie

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 03:13:42 pm »
Maybe use a bigger nozzle, or replace the blower with a smaller one?

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 04:26:18 am »
Or spend a little more and get a QUICK 957DW - I've got one and it's great.

I have the 861DW and I'm very pleased with it.Damn fast heating .Have anyone here had experience with any of the other Quick soldering stations .Specifically the  QUICK 203H or QUICK TS1200A?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf