Author Topic: Super basic N MOSFET logic level shifter - done correctly?  (Read 8729 times)

Offline FlashEFTopic starter

• Contributor
Super basic N MOSFET logic level shifter - done correctly?
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:28:57 pm »
Hi. Could anyone tell me if the fallowing circuit is going to work?

It is supposed to do a non-inverted conversion from 1.8 V logic to 3,3V. It is surprisingly hard to find information regarding those sort of circuits as they are super basic and simple. I ended up scratching my head and wondering am I right or not.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: Super basic N MOSFET logic level shifter - done correctly?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:02:13 pm »
I'm afraid not. If you apply 1.8V to the gate, and the Vgs threshold is 0.5V, then the output voltage will be about 1.3V.

There's no completely trivial solution that I'm aware of. An inverting level shifter is easier - it's more or less the circuit you've drawn, just turned upside down. Two inverters in series makes for a non-inverting circuit.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 07:28:51 pm »
Doesn't the Vgs treshold mean the point where the MOSFET starts to turn on? The ON resistance for this model is roughly in 200 mOhm so shouldn't it be a voltage divider with one resistor of 10k and the other 200mOhm? What am I missing here? :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 07:34:29 pm »
0.5V with respect to the substrate/source. In this case the source will be at the top end of the 10k resistor. You have made a very nice voltage follower. To make a level shifter you will need to make this an inverter by swapping the mosfet and resistor and add another after to invert again. If you need to do this more than once on a board use a proper level translator.

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 08:08:01 pm »
Check out this application note. Page 10 is what you are looking for. http://ics.nxp.com/support/documents/interface/pdf/an97055.pdf

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:32:29 pm »
Thanks for the datasheet and all other help. The method mentioned on the 10-th page seems easy to implement but I'll probably test it first cause it seems somewhat dependent on the MOSFET model.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 09:08:20 pm »
Doesn't the Vgs treshold mean the point where the MOSFET starts to turn on? The ON resistance for this model is roughly in 200 mOhm so shouldn't it be a voltage divider with one resistor of 10k and the other 200mOhm? What am I missing here? :)
I'm sure you've got it by now anyway, but: Vgs is the voltage between the gate of the transistor and the source of the transistor. Think carefully about what these two terminals are connected to; if the source were connected to ground, then it would indeed turn fully on with a 1.8V input. But it isn't!

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 02:08:03 pm »
Thanks AndyC. I taught of the first split second when the bottom of the transistor is pulled to ground, but yes - after the voltage raises the MOS will start to close and settles on it's treshold voltage. Something to keep in mind for the future.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:15:11 pm by FlashEF »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf