Author Topic: switch to use with very small. battery powered, thin heater  (Read 3185 times)

Offline counductivprTopic starter

Hello all,
I have a very small thin heater I need to hook up in series to a battery and a switch.  My battery ourput is 300 Ma with a peak of 700 Ma.  Can anyone recommend a thin switch (like a momentary tactile switch) that will work like a rocker switch (remain on until pressed off)?   Since a momentary switch has to be held down to stay on, it won't work for this project.  I need the thin profile of a tacile switch, but the on/off capability of a rocker switch.  Anyway to do this with a tactile switch or other switch? 

I know the output is a little steep for tactile switches as well.  But this is a throw away piece and the life span is very short.   
Thanks,

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
Re: switch to use with very small. battery powered, thin heater
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:53:23 am »
mind telling me what kind of thin heater you are using? I was actually looking for something like this... the best I could come up with is to snake around with nichrome..
kinda curious about your project too.. defogging optics perhaps?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:03:26 am by ftransform »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:15 am »
You surely mean 300 to 700mA, right? Several hundred million amps isn't easy to switch :o

A relay and a tiny 6-pin MCU might work better, that way your switch doesn't need to see the full current and it can still be momentary.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:38:48 pm »
You can get clicky switches like the ones in generic PC cases (except not momentary). These ones are only rated for 500mA though:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pcs-8-x-8mm-Capped-Knob-Self-Lock-Push-Tactile-Switch-/150820358058?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item231d9807aa#ht_2194wt_1142

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:56:41 pm »
If it is a throwaway unit it would not matter if the switch is over run it would likely last long enough anyway.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:11:35 pm »
Should be very easy to find such a switch.  Watch Daves videos that explain how to do parametric searches with Digikey, Mouser, and the likes.
-Time

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor

Offline counductivprTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 08:09:45 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes the output of the battery is mA.  I got the heater from an aeronautical engineering firm to test for a project I'm working on.  If they say I can release the name of the manufacturer, I'll reply and let you know.  Thanks for all of the switch information.  I'll make some purchases and get to work.
Best,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf