Author Topic: Taking apart an EICO 460 Oscilloscope  (Read 1134 times)

Offline PDX460Topic starter

Taking apart an EICO 460 Oscilloscope
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:25:54 pm »
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I picked up an EICO 460 Oscilloscope a few years back, with the intention of taking it apart one day. When I purchased it, I plugged it in and it seem to work OK, although I have never used an Oscilloscope before.

It has been in the garage for about 6 years, and I now want to take it apart. After I removed the housing, I noticed the large CRT and remembered hearing that CRTs can hold a charge for a long time, and can effectively kill you if you are not careful, so I stopped.

All I want to do is gut the unit so that I can convert it into something else, and not get electrocuted. I have done extensive searches, but can't seem to find anything specific on taking apart a 460.

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:34:38 pm by PDX460 »

Offline 6PTsocket

• Regular Contributor
Re: Taking apart an EICO 460 Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:57:54 am »
I think you are confusing CRT TV design with this  CRT scope. TV's used the bell of the tube as a big capacitor. The inside of the bell was coated with a conductive coating and accessed by a snap on the glass. The outside of the bell was also coated and formed the other plate. This glass dielectric capacitor was charged to tens of thousands of volts and was the filter for the high voltage power supply. It could hold a charge for months. As a kid I would unsnap the cable going to the inside "plate" of the cap and ground it to the outside "plate" and get a big discharge ZAP before working on TVs. The voltage could actually come back on the plates and the discharge jumper was best left on or at least applied again.The 5UP1 crt in rhe 460 scope has no such built in capacitor. All power connections are to the socket. The high voltage to  anode 1 and 2 are around 10OO and 2200 volts and stored on small  capacitors in the power supply. I doubt there is a anything left after years in the garage but discharge them to be safe. It is a contiuous sweep scope rather than triggered but it seems like a waste to rip it  apart out of curiosity rather than keeping it working There is a market for them.
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I picked up an EICO 460 Oscilloscope a few years back, with the intention of taking it apart one day. When I purchased it, I plugged it in and it seem to work OK, although I have never used an Oscilloscope before.

It has been in the garage for about 6 years, and I now want to take it apart. After I removed the housing, I noticed the large CRT and remembered hearing that CRTs can hold a charge for a long time, and can effectively kill you if you are not careful, so I stopped.

All I want to do is gut the unit so that I can convert it into something else, and not get electrocuted. I have done extensive searches, but can't seem to find anything specific on taking apart a 460.

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: PDX460

Offline PDX460Topic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 05:16:15 am »
I think you are confusing CRT TV design with this  CRT scope. TV's used the bell of the tube as a big capacitor. The inside of the bell was coated with a conductive coating and accessed by a snap on the glass. The outside of the bell was also coated and formed the other plate. This glass dielectric capacitor was charged to tens of thousands of volts and was the filter for the high voltage power supply. It could hold a charge for months. As a kid I would unsnap the cable going to the inside "plate" of the cap and ground it to the outside "plate" and get a big discharge ZAP before working on TVs. The voltage could actually come back on the plates and the discharge jumper was best left on or at least applied again.The 5UP1 crt in rhe 460 scope has no such built in capacitor. All power connections are to the socket. The high voltage to  anode 1 and 2 are around 10OO and 2200 volts and stored on small  capacitors in the power supply. I doubt there is a anything left after years in the garage but discharge them to be safe. It is a contiuous sweep scope rather than triggered but it seems like a waste to rip it  apart out of curiosity rather than keeping it working There is a market for them.

Thank you so much for the information, I very much appreciate it!  :-+

Offline Haitarai

• !
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 07:01:55 am »
I'm looking for information on the EICO 460 is offline.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf