Author Topic: Taking care of a soldering iron?  (Read 16349 times)

Offline GreyerstingTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics noob
Taking care of a soldering iron?
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:05:25 am »
I was wondering how I would take care of a soldering iron.  I have been using the $5 crap soldering irons and haven't really cared about taking care of them but now I am thinking for getting a Hakko FX888D and would prefer not to ruin it.  How can I properly take care of it on the first use and every one after that?  Thanks.
Contact-
Greyersting2@gmail.com

Offline Asim

• Regular Contributor
Re: Taking care of a soldering iron?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:15:55 am »

Offline roach969

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 04:27:43 am »
Quick question, do old irons lose their resistance?  I have an old Weller from my tech school days and I don't remember it getting as hot as it gets now.  I will be replacing it soon, recommendations?  Any input is appreciated, thank you.

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:30:22 am »
The information Asim linked to above is good.

I'll point out that it's a lot easier to take care of a good temperature controlled iron than a cheap uncontrolled pencil style iron.  Cheap irons are always swinging between being too hot and too cold, and the overheating while idle will cause damage.  Good irons are protected from overheating by the temp control, as long as you don't set it too hot.

Turn it off when not using it, and tin it well before turning it off, to keep air away from the surface of the tip.  When turning it on after a long period of disuse, re-tin it.  Clean it frequently but gently.  There are debates about the best cleaning technique, but abrasives like sandpaper are not encouraged.  I only use a soft moist sponge.

And don't worry so much.  If it puts you more at ease, buy a few spare tips right away, so you'll still be in business if you ruin a tip.  But with reasonable care and the type of occasional use most hobbyists encounter, an iron should last a very long time.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:11:05 am »
I only use distilled water on my sponge.  I can't prove it makes your tips last longer....but for $1 for a gallon at the grocery store that will last months - it's worth it just to have it in a handy container.  I keep the gallon hidden away, and re-fill a ketchup container that I keep next to my iron.  I also use one to keep IPA in.  You can get them for a buck or so at walmart.

Offline WhiteWolf

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:35:58 am »
Isn't it enought to just use smal tin wire when you work and clean with metal cotton (is it called like that?)
Or you could just tap the solder iron at the end of your bench, I use that technic sometimes :)

I haven't had any problems with my soldering irons and never had to make a special care taking of them. I should say that I never use those damp sponges.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 08:38:46 am »
I clean tips with brass wool.
during normal storage, I just coat the tip with solder to form a sacrificial coating which I remove later.
long term storage = plato tip tinner.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 11:49:27 am »
I was wondering how I would take care of a soldering iron.  [...]

Couldn't resist:

Offline cloud_constructor

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 12:20:16 pm »
Well , i only use a slightly wet sponge and never abrasive surfaces , but the one think that i`ve noticed that realy kills the tip is  melting plastics or leaving it on for a very long time , with unlclean tip ...

heeeeeyy!!! second post ever! :scared:

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 12:23:32 pm »
Isn't it enought to just use smal tin wire when you work and clean with metal cotton (is it called like that?)
Or you could just tap the solder iron at the end of your bench, I use that technic sometimes :)

I haven't had any problems with my soldering irons and never had to make a special care taking of them. I should say that I never use those damp sponges.

If you look at that guide, no  ;)  They tell you not to do things that have been reported on here as being ok.  For example, not using thin solder as there isn't enough flux and not to use anything harder than a soft wet sponge to clean the bits.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 01:23:46 pm »

Too abrasive IMHO.  There is a coating on the tip - that you can easily were off with a brass "sponge" -

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »
Quick question, do old irons lose their resistance?  I have an old Weller from my tech school days and I don't remember it getting as hot as it gets now.  I will be replacing it soon, recommendations?  Any input is appreciated, thank you.

No,but what does happen,at least with WTCP irons,is that the contacts on the magnetically operated switch stick together,so your iron is on all the time,with no temperarure control.

If the switch is working,you should be able to hear a periodic click.or if you open the case & hang across the two wires going off to the handset with a DMM on AC volts,you will see the voltage change as the switch operates.

You can sometimes clean the contacts & get a bit more life out of it,but it usually means you need a new part.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 01:52:47 pm »
Biggest mistake many people make is to clean the tip on the way in to the stand, so the tip oxidizes quickly.
Having a blob of manky old solder on the tip helps protect it, as the solder oxidises instead.

Always wipe on the way out of the stand, not into it.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 02:02:57 pm »

Too abrasive IMHO.  There is a coating on the tip - that you can easily were off with a brass "sponge" -

tips are typically iron plated, usually some 4-5 mohs hardness. brass is typically softer than iron, usually some 3-4 mohs hardness. emphasis on typically. the abrasion should be minimal.

Offline gregallenwarner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 02:50:04 pm »
My new soldering iron tip is very solder phobic. (Solder beads up and pulls away from it when I touch it with solder wire.) How can I better keep my iron tip coated in solder?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 03:53:00 am »
I only use distilled water on my sponge.  I can't prove it makes your tips last longer....
Tap water can have minerals that will reduce tip life, such as sulfur. Distillation removes them = aids tip life, and as you mention, it's very inexpensive.  :)

If you look at that guide, no  ;)  They tell you not to do things that have been reported on here as being ok.  For example, not using thin solder as there isn't enough flux and not to use anything harder than a soft wet sponge to clean the bits.
It's a good article overall, but I suspect it's a bit old.

Sponges used to be the only thing to use, and all that soldering stations came with. This has changed with lead-free solders though, which is when brass wool made it's appearance (less thermal shock than a damp sponge). Some stations even include brass wool these days (i.e. Hakko FX-888D has both wool and a sponge; suspect "sponge only" with a station is a cost cutting measure).

FWIW, you can always add more liquid or paste flux to the tip if the solder wire you have doesn't contain enough.

My new soldering iron tip is very solder phobic. (Solder beads up and pulls away from it when I touch it with solder wire.) How can I better keep my iron tip coated in solder?
Does the chrome plating go all the way down to the business/working end of the tip?

I ask, as solder doesn't wet to chrome (business end is supposed to be iron only, with only the upper part plated in chrome). Seen cheap tips on firesticks have chrome on all of the surface of the tip.

You could try some tinning compound, otherwise you may need a new tip (could sand it, but you run the risk of removing all of the iron plating, which will ruin it).

Offline bhilly82

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 03:54:39 am »

Use some flux on the tip then add solder.  If that doesn't work get some tip tinnier.

Offline gregallenwarner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 02:36:56 am »
Does the chrome plating go all the way down to the business/working end of the tip?

Yes, the tip is completely chromed. Thanks for the advice. I'll look for a tip that's just iron plated.

Offline Molybdo42

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 11:28:43 am »
Follow the indications given in this video :

When it comes to Kimwipes + isopropanol, I'm not as maniac as he does, but the advice to wipe the soldering iron tip with a dry Kimwipe to remove excess solder is a good one. Otherwise you will quickly need to replace your sponge or brass wool as they will be filled with solder blobs.

Does anyone know where I can get that spring wire holder ?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:40:25 pm by Molybdo42 »

Offline geraldjhg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 12:29:37 pm »
hi
if you want tip to last a lot
DONT USE WATER to clean tip
not even spongy water
G E R A L D

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 12:53:23 pm »

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 01:06:10 pm »
hi
if you want tip to last a lot
DONT USE WATER to clean tip
not even spongy water

Ummmmmmm.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 02:56:29 pm »
Also remember first time you use a new tip - clean with cloth when cold to remove any deposits, then absolutely cake it in solder as it warms up, making sure it is fully coated on all surfaces.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 03:04:55 pm »
Also remember first time you use a new tip - clean with cloth when cold to remove any deposits, then absolutely cake it in solder as it warms up, making sure it is fully coated on all surfaces.

also cake the damn thing in solder when you put it down for a while/store it. using the solder as a sacrificial coating to enhance the lifetime of the tip

Offline Molybdo42

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 05:33:46 pm »
I would also recommend reading some advice from the Hakko website :
http://www.hakko.com/english/maintenance/topic_oxidized.html
http://www.hakko.com/english/maintenance/topic_tips_life_1.html

Use the lowest tip temperature. This seems to play a very important role (greater than water or not water ?), because with some solder, the tip erosion doubles with a simple 50°C difference.

Damm ecologists and soldering iron sellers, their leaded solder ban shortens the soldering iron tip's life, augments the risk of destroying caps and sensitive circuits, and is less reliable (brittle,  whiskers). I think I am going to switch back to leaded solder.

Does anyone know where I can get that spring wire holder ?
Panavise 358 (http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&page=full&--eqskudatarq=38)
Yay ! Thanks ! Expensive but added to my to buy list.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf