Author Topic: TDGC2 2KVA Variable Transformer  (Read 3407 times)

Offline MenicusTopic starter

TDGC2 2KVA Variable Transformer
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:27:01 pm »
Hello, and might I begin by congratulating David Jones on a most entertaining and informative youtube channel.

I have purchased a variable transformer from a local electronics supply store and I am fairly new to electronics and I have been unable to find the answers to my questions on the internet.

I have watched a few videos on the type of variac I have but cannot grasp them well enough to understand the wiring diagram on the variac I bought.  The diagram and wiring interface is precisely the same as the one found at this link but I doubt it is the same manufacturer:
http://johsun.en.alibaba.com/product/504209966-209804644/TDGC2_2KVA_Variable_Transformer.html

Could someone please either explain how to wire this thing or point to a resource where I can learn what I need.  My applications will be very rough, no fine electronics will be attached to this as I suspect it is fairly low quality and I don't trust it.  The unit I bought looks exactly the same as the above link and I suspect it is a china knockoff of some sort or another.

Thank you for your time and effort

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: TDGC2 2KVA Variable Transformer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:40:43 pm »
Sorry but I do not see a schematic diagram in the link you provided.

Please see this photograph:

https://www.uk420.com/boards/uploads/monthly_06_2011/post-60203-0-14675200-1307887378.jpg

Here live would be connected to A, neutral connected to C, neutral out connected to C and live out connected to E. There are other tricks that you can do by connecting to the various taps but as you are a beginner here I've started off simple.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline MenicusTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:13:51 pm »
I am quite amazed that you cannot see the schematic as it is pretty clearly visible in the image on the link, but here is the link to the image itself:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/504209966/TDGC2_2KVA_Variable_Transformer.jpg

Here is another image of the same, this one without the watermark, the schematic is printed on the device itself:

http://www.johsun.com/upload/img/20131217/Single_Phase_LCD_Voltage_Regulator_TDGC2.jpg

Right underneath the digital display are 4 knobs, 2 red and 2 black, and in between the 4 knobs is the schematic.

The schematic in the image you have linked is quite different from the one above in several ways. 

Given that you have linked a cannabis related forum I am perhaps not so amazed after all...

Thank you for time and effort.

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:38:35 pm »
It does not get much simpler than the diagram printed directly on the binding post back-plate... X-x is neutral, A is live, and "a" is your output... it even says "Input / Output" on the plate.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:30:49 pm »
Ah! I missed the diagram because it was hidden behind the watermark. In this case you can blame the wrong spectacles rather than strange illegal substances. My image? Google search, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it  ^-^
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf