Author Topic: Tek 453 Calibrator Fuzziness  (Read 2089 times)

Offline CranberryTopic starter

• Contributor
Tek 453 Calibrator Fuzziness
« on: July 29, 2014, 03:06:17 pm »
Hi Everyone,

This is the first time I've ever used an analog scope or owned a scope before. I'm more or less new to it, but familiar based on my previous classes. I bought this tek 453 off of ebay and received it a week ago. I tested it by measuring some batteries and also the DC output from a wall wart. Measuring DC is fine, I also got the AC signal from the wall wart by not connecting the negative leg to the ground reference of the probe.

Anyway, I don't have a function generator so I've been using this to test it. I was trying to follow the manual's instructions for first-time use by hooking up channel 1 or channel 2's BNC connector to the calibrator which should be a 0.1v or 1v peak-to-peak square wave (according to the manual). I don't get that. I notice a difference on the screen, a little bit of noise, but no square wave. It looks more or less grounded. I notice if I put my hand closer to the BNC cable or lift it up I could amplify the signal, but it still looks more or less the same way. I know this isn't right. What could be some of the likely causes of this? Could it just be a broken calibrator? Could this indicate something larger in terms of whether the scope is not in good shape?

I tried with another probe (that doesn't hook like the probe I was using before, it's more of a needle), and I couldn't see a thing. With that being said, I don't know if it is a probe issue.

I have photos but I have trouble uploading on this site without the entire post getting wiped out.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:26:12 pm by Cranberry »

Offline Wh1sper

• Regular Contributor
    • Zockertown
Re: Tek 453 Calibrator Fuzziness
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 03:19:55 pm »
Build a simple two transistor multivibrator using some spare parts flying around and try out.
Something like this: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/astable.html

AND Read the manual for this scope.
An scope is not for measure plain DC. With the built  multi vibrator, there you have plenty of signals to try thing out

Offline CranberryTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 03:28:15 pm »
I'll try that transistor circuit later tonight and let you know what happens. I have been reading the manual. Here is a picture of the AC signal I got from the wall wart. Ignore the uncalibrated lights, I didn't know what I was doing a few days ago until I read the manual, and asked questions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:30:31 pm by Cranberry »

Offline Wh1sper

• Regular Contributor
    • Zockertown
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 03:39:46 pm »
The signal is normal for just connect the probe with your finger tips.
I guess your gear is quite fully functional

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:10:12 pm »
The AC signal from the wall wart will be distorted without a ground reference because it is isolated.  What you will see instead is capacitively coupled noise.

It does look like there is a problem with the calibrator output though.  A relatively clean square wave should be plainly visible.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf