Author Topic: Tektronix 547 Oscilloscope  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Knox_HarringtonTopic starter

Tektronix 547 Oscilloscope
« on: December 14, 2018, 08:33:36 pm »
   Hello everyone.  So I just picked up this Tektronix 547 scope.  I don't know too much about it, but it doesn't seem to be working like the ones I've come across in other Youtube videos.  I was hoping someone on here could help me test it or point me in the right direction?  Below is a video I took of it powering on for about 45s.   Thanks in advance for any replies. 

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix 547 Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 08:52:38 pm »
Did you try to turn the "Intensity" knob?  Set the trigger mode to "auto."

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 12:28:51 am »
Look at the 4 lights above the CRT, they are telling you the trace is far below the screen, which either means the position control of the plugin needs adjusting, or the plugin might need repairing if the position control does nothing.
The other light tells you the trace is also way off to the left, which means the time base is not triggered, or the horizontal position control on the mainframe needs adjusting.

Please be aware that the 547 has the ability to throw a lot of brightness on the CRT, so much so that it can permanently burn the screen.

So keep the intensity down, at 4 or below. You can also keep it out of focus on purpose to prevent the beam being too powerful on one spot.

It's a nice scope. Lots of work to keep going at first. Tunnel diodes drift over time and some circuits may not work properly anymore.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

The following users thanked this post: Wimberleytech

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 11:24:44 pm »
RTFM. It will explain how to set the controls for basic display and what all the little lights mean. Once you've got a trace on screen (or fail to get such using the manual's setup) then we can proceed.

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/547
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 03:27:37 am »
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 05:14:17 pm »
 heat it up and wait for few minutes, because vertical amplifier  must be warmed up.

Trigger from Timebase A should be switched to "AUTO"
 Horz-Display should be schwitched to "A"

And   1A1 Plugin, schwitched to "chop"
Both (vert) Postition-Knobs on 1A1 Plug-in  should stand be middle.

and turn  itensity pots carefully, if you see only  light-fog.  Look that,  postition-lamps  and turn  Horz or Vert-Postition-knobs.

If you doesn't seeing  a trace.  That pleas check their power supply on accuaray.
It is normal, this unit has  someone little fault after  long sleep.

YES,  very carefully with intensity pot,  CRT Brightness is very strong.   If CRT is good, it is possible showing visible trace on fastest sweep with low repetion rate. I tell  from repetion rate of  10-50 hz !!  This is also why,  old tektronix  is superior.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 08:57:05 am by madao »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf