Author Topic: Temperature sensor for induction motor case and stray magnetic fields  (Read 1185 times)

Offline e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Are temperature sensors such as thermistors, RTDs or the DS18B20 affected by the stray magnetic field from an induction motor when mounted on the exterior aluminium heatsink?

I only need 1 degree C resolution. Can I just use them like normal, or do I need to synchronise the readings in time with the magnetic field  to get consistent values?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Temperature sensor for induction motor case and stray magnetic fields
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:30:03 am »
No, you just need to ensure that the wiring is twisted and no large open loops to induce AC voltage into it. Shielded twisted pair cable is easiest to use, though almost all of the motor protection sensors are just twisted pair high temperature wire inside the motor itself, and you generally in any case want to do averaging over a few readings as well, reduces noise in all cases.

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Temperature sensor for induction motor case and stray magnetic fields
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 02:08:54 pm »
Also, ensure that there is minimal capacitive coupling between the sensor and the motor frame. If they share the same ground it shouldn't be a problem but if the circuitry is floating wrt to AC earth then it may be a problem.  Maybe a good idea to add some hysteresis to the switching point so when the motor overtemps it doesn't re-start 15 sec later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf