Author Topic: Testing amplifier w/ spectrum analyzer  (Read 2268 times)

Offline molotovTopic starter

Testing amplifier w/ spectrum analyzer
« on: June 20, 2016, 05:03:20 pm »
I am designing an amplifier for a piezo based vibration monitor.

I want to connect the output of the amplifier to the 50 ohm input of a spectrum analyzer using a standard 50 ohm BNC cable.

My circuit is below. Would I just need to put a 50 ohm resistor in series with the output of the instrumentation amplifier?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Testing amplifier w/ spectrum analyzer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 05:45:14 pm »
Would I just need to put a 50 ohm resistor in series with the output of the instrumentation amplifier?

More or less, but you should take the output impedance of the INA into account, e.g. if the output impedance is 10ohms, then you would add a 40ohm series resistor. Whether or no that matters depends on whether the interconnection is electrically "short" or "long" compared to the signal's wavelength, and that is frequency dependent.

But be careful: some spectrum analysers cannot tolerate any DC component, and many are very sensitive to too much input power. Too much of either and the unprotected front-end-mixer is instantly destroyed. Check the spec of your SA.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline molotovTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 06:57:34 pm »
Would I just need to put a 50 ohm resistor in series with the output of the instrumentation amplifier?

More or less, but you should take the output impedance of the INA into account, e.g. if the output impedance is 10ohms, then you would add a 40ohm series resistor. Whether or no that matters depends on whether the interconnection is electrically "short" or "long" compared to the signal's wavelength, and that is frequency dependent.

But be careful: some spectrum analysers cannot tolerate any DC component, and many are very sensitive to too much input power. Too much of either and the unprotected front-end-mixer is instantly destroyed. Check the spec of your SA.

Thanks for the reply.

The spectrum analyzer is an HP 3588A and it can tolerate up to 4V DC. So as long as I keep the amplifier supply below +/- 4V I should be OK.

The maximum frequency I will be analyzing is 2000 Hz so just matching the impedance with a resistor should be sufficient, right?

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:13:24 am »

Thanks for the reply.

The spectrum analyzer is an HP 3588A and it can tolerate up to 4V DC. So as long as I keep the amplifier supply below +/- 4V I should be OK.

The maximum frequency I will be analyzing is 2000 Hz so just matching the impedance with a resistor should be sufficient, right?

The Ad8220 won't do well driving a 100 ohm load with such a low power supply. However, the good news is that with a 2kHz max frequency, you don't have to worry about impedance matching. That spectrum analyzer has a 1Mohm input impedance setting. Connect it up and go....
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf