Author Topic: The Art Of Electronics - Study - My Questions Blog  (Read 2512 times)

Offline AcousticBruceTopic starter

• Contributor
The Art Of Electronics - Study - My Questions Blog
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:52 pm »
Welcome to my Art Of Electronics Study Blog. I bought the book and manual and I have to say it is very interesting the way it is being presented so far. Unfortunately it says the book will not get into math too much (thats my fav part) but as far as practicality this is going to be some excellent study!!!

Anyway I am going write questions pertaining to this study and I am hope you can join me on my adventure!

SO I will start with Thevenin.

In the first chapter shortly after voltage dividers it talks about Thevenin's Theorem. I get it: A thevenin circuit is one that matches the same internal resistance and voltage as a original circuit. I am assuming this is good for prototyping?

Can you give me some real practical events when this happens. When you use it personally? A good tutorial (that doesnt just show how to do the math, but really shows practical uses)?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: The Art Of Electronics - Study - My Questions Blog
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:04:21 pm »
One common, practical use of Thévenin equivalent circuits is to compute the impedance of a signal coming from a voltage divider. For example, if I want to divide a signal by three and I want the output impedance to be fifty ohms, I can use a voltage divider of 150 and 75, because the Thévenin equivalent impedance of that is 50.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:51:25 pm »
This video I did shows a practical application of Thevenin and Superposition to calculate the characteristics of an R2R resistor ladder DAC.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline AcousticBruceTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:47:16 am »
Oooo... that might be the only vid of yours I havn't seen. Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:27:30 pm »
This circuit I built up for a competition entry. At a high level, all it does is dynamically change it's input so that the Thevenin equivalent circuit is the same as a Peltier device/Solar cell etc...

In this case, you are basically ensuring the resistance of the Thevenin equivalent circuit of the power source is exactly the same input resistance of the power conversion circuit. This gives the highest possible efficiency; and it's just Thevenin theory applied!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf