Author Topic: The Best Soldering Iron  (Read 31637 times)

Offline zoomtronic

Re: The Best Soldering Iron
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 02:56:59 pm »
have this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAZIONE-SALDATURA-DIGITALE-ERSA-80W-RDS80-PREZZO-PIU-BASSO-DEL-WEB-GARANTITA-/200905614071?pt=Saldatori_e_Tester&hash=item2ec6e862f7
quite good tool, also have lots of extensions with it. works as a charm 3 years, still using it!
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain

Offline travellerw

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 03:24:37 pm »
+1 for Weller WES51... Only issue I have is the tips are a little pricey at $10.. They do last a long time though, even if abused.

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 03:26:17 pm »
Over time I have used various Weller desktop soldering stations, and have generally been happy with them. However, recently I was able to use a JBC soldering station for a while, which made me an instant convert. Thus I recently bought a JBC, one of their smaller models, for hobby use.

As seen from where I am sitting, then the Weller soldering stations are not even on the same planet as the current JBC models. Particularly if you occasionally solder 'heavy' connections, then the heat recovery of the JBC technology is amazing. For instance I recently found myself soldering and replacing connections to a mild steel chassis (don't ask) while just using a 2mm chisel tip. Even though I do have a larger tip, then just using the 2 mm worked just fine.

Audio gear frequently has heavy duty connections due to the high current circuits found inside amps, so this may be an important consideration for the OP.

Could I live with a Hakko or a Weller? Sure, but I much prefer the JBC.

I have never tried any ERSA or Pace models, at least not for any length of time, so are unable to comment on those.

The sole reason the small, desktop Hakko and Weller stations gets people's vote in place of a JBC, can only be that the same people haven't tried the JBC. >:D

Offline travellerw

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »
While I can't disagree with you about JBC (never used one).... They are not even on the same planet price wise.. The cheapest JBC I could find was about $450.

I would hope for 5X the price they solder much better than a Hakko or Weller!

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2013, 04:46:11 pm »
As seen from where I am sitting, then the Weller soldering stations are not even on the same planet as the current JBC models.

The 'magic' of JBCs is the cartridge design. Very high power, low thermal mass, thin wall stainless tube providing thermal isolation between the tip and the rest of the cartridge, integrated heater element and thermocouple. Small physical size and quick one-handed cartridge change is just a bonus.

The downside is temperature control isn't that accurate because the thermocouple cold junction is the other end of the cartridge and it does warm up and it is difficult measuring a low output thermocouple on the same wires that drive the heater. Cartridges end up expensive, but, last a long time because the very fast warm up means idling at reduced temperature is practical.

I think Hakko and Weller have taken the same approach on some models. I don't see how more conventional irons with bits mounting on a heating element and temperature sensor can possibly offer the same kind of dynamic thermal performance.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2013, 05:06:03 pm »
Hakko 951: $260 to $400 - can't find a solid price
MSLP = $262.77 according to Hakko's website (US pricing).

Offline soren

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2013, 09:19:39 pm »
The 'magic' of JBCs is the cartridge design. Very high power, low thermal mass, thin wall stainless tube providing thermal isolation between the tip and the rest of the cartridge, integrated heater element and thermocouple. Small physical size and quick one-handed cartridge change is just a bonus.

The downside is temperature control isn't that accurate because the thermocouple cold junction is the other end of the cartridge and it does warm up and it is difficult measuring a low output thermocouple on the same wires that drive the heater. Cartridges end up expensive, but, last a long time because the very fast warm up means idling at reduced temperature is practical.

I think Hakko and Weller have taken the same approach on some models. I don't see how more conventional irons with bits mounting on a heating element and temperature sensor can possibly offer the same kind of dynamic thermal performance.

Agreed. My general recommendation would be to buy whichever iron of this class is the cheapest. While there are differences between them, they are dwarfed by the gap between these newer low mass types and traditional irons with a big ceramic element heating a big lump of metal.

I use a Pace TD-100 (and ST-30), which I am quite pleased with, but that is mostly because ex-demo units were available at very low prices a few years ago.

It is unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be any such iron available with a reasonable list price from any manufacturer.

Offline Greyersting

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics noob
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2013, 11:33:53 pm »
I would prefer the display rather than just the knob.
Contact-
Greyersting2@gmail.com

Offline logman

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2013, 09:25:18 am »
just bought the FX888D with the "free" cutters. i will let you know how i like it. maybe i'll do an unboxing video.

Offline B+D Shop

• Our Store
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2013, 06:39:04 pm »
Hey everyone... 1st post I know...but we have to start somewhere  :-+

With regards to this thread we wanted to throw something out to all of you and gauge the interest level. Just wondering if there would be enough support of the members for us to throw together a special eevblog discount for Hakko products sold from our store bdent.com?

A little background: We have been in business since 1976, are authorized for many of the top component and tool lines in the industry (including Hakko), have a very diverse client list from manufacturers world wide to the local hobbyist here in the states and we have been a top seller on Amazon and eBay for years while just relaunched our webstore this last month.

If anyone would be interested, just reply to this email or shoot me a PM - we would love to help with your projects as much as possible. I will get a promo going shortly.

Best
Dean
From components to tools... we have your bench covered. PA, USA. bdent.com

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2013, 06:44:54 pm »
Hey everyone... 1st post I know...but we have to start somewhere  :-+

With regards to this thread we wanted to throw something out to all of you and gauge the interest level. Just wondering if there would be enough support of the members for us to throw together a special eevblog discount for Hakko products sold from our store bdent.com?
FWIW, I've worked with B+D on a previous purchase, and they went the extra mile to provide me with great service, far beyond what I expected. I'm just a happy previous customer.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2013, 12:07:17 am »
In regards to the original post...

I am always amazed that people recommend those Hakko or Weller irons.  It's not that the quality is bad necessarily, but once you have used a pencil iron, you would never go back to anything else.  The big fat grip and long distance from the held portion to the tip make everything other than a pencil tip cumbersome and hard to use.

If you look at all the top of the line irons from Pace, Metcal and Weller (WX series), they all use pencil tips.  With my Pace units, my fingertips are 4cm from the tip of the iron, and it's so slim I can hold it like a pencil.

I think to make such systems work, you need the handpiece made from the right materials, and the power unit must have the ability to pump a lot of power into the tip which must have good thermal recovery. 

After I used a pencil tip iron, I can't ever imagine using something big and clunky like the FX-888 - where your fingers are 12cm from the tip and you must hold it with an uncomfortable grip.

Anyone who hasn't tried a pencil tip is missing out big time!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2013, 01:34:04 am »
If you look at all the top of the line irons from Pace, Metcal and Weller (WX series), they all use pencil tips.  With my Pace units, my fingertips are 4cm from the tip of the iron, and it's so slim I can hold it like a pencil.
I know what you mean: the tips on my Hakko irons (FM-203 station with FM-2027 handpieces) are about 4.5 cm from the end of the grip. The foam grips are very comfortable to hold and are replaceable as needed -- the foam is very nice for longer soldering sessions (and I use different grip colors for different tip styles in order to keep things simple and avoid errors).

By comparison, my Weller WES51 (with PES51 handpiece) measures nearly 7.5 cm from grip to tip, but I'd used it for years and got used to the length. The grip is ribbed plastic, so it was sometimes uncomfortable if I held it too tightly.

As you said, though, it's awkward to go back to a longer handpiece. I still have, and occasionally use, the Weller. It works well and has proven to be quite dependable, just not quite as comfortable.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2013, 04:33:42 am »
If you look at all the top of the line irons from Pace, Metcal and Weller (WX series), they all use pencil tips.
Both of mine are pencil type irons (Weller WMP = 3.9cm, WSP80 = 7cm from tip to grip).

Thing is, the only ~$100USD iron that has this I can think of with a pencil iron, is an Aoyue 2900 (~$85). Based on comments I've seen, it gets a bit uncomfortable if used for any real period of time (iron gets too warm).

Trade-off in comfort I guess; pencil that slowly cooks the user's fingers vs. chunk that may not be as pleasant to hold for extended periods.

So unless the buyer has the funds for one of the brand name stations that use a pencil, pick your pain.  :o  :-DD

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2013, 04:51:15 am »
I use weller, ersa and hakko irons very frequently (different labs, different lab managers  ;) ). Hands down, my favourite is the Weller WMRP pencil. I bought one for myself after using it for a while and it's one of the best tool investments I've ever made (I do mostly SMD stuff). I also have an 80W WD1 for when you just need stupid amounts of heat.

I've used the Hakko FM-206 station and FX-888D lately and surprisingly, I'm not a fan. Don't seem to handle a big ground plane as well as the weller gear (even the tiny little weller pencil!). Desoldering gun on the 206 is nice though.

Also a fan of the WES style irons.

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2014, 08:09:03 pm »

Aoyue int2703A+

Aoyue 968A

hi, i need to solder/unsolder DIP, SMD

is it better
-  Aoyue int2703A+ instructions
or the combination of
- Aoyue 701A+
- Aoyue 968A+

let me know

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2014, 08:11:49 pm »
aoyue-968 has been commented on hackaday

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2014, 09:08:06 pm »
I like the cartridge tip technology used in the Aoyue Int2703+ (copies Hakko T15 tips used in the FX-951 FWIW).

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:26 pm »
so I'd better buy Aoyue Int2703+ ?

what about its desoldering gun ?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2014, 12:04:39 am »
so I'd better buy Aoyue Int2703+ ?

what about its desoldering gun ?
It's entirely up to you, but between the two units/alternatives you asked about, I'd go for the 2703+.  ;)

Desoldering gun works OK (they've been around for awhile in multiple units, as it's a copy of Hakko's design), just need to keep it clean. Here's some reviews on Amazon for that particular model (2703A+)

Review of the 2702A+ as well on ToolBoom (previous model? ; have to swap iron & desoldering gun on the connector).

Offline GreenHW_GUY

• Contributor
  • Hardware Electronic RF Power-electronic
    • included if you specify a URL below.
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2014, 04:43:27 pm »
can somebody explain how Hakko 888D can lose almost 50C degree, from standby to when you have to use it. 350C  to 300C sound a lot of heat lose. when we know that 270C is where typical solder melts. see graph http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx888d.html I remember when I start in my first educations I have an old Weller with old Magnetic soldering iron station. that only need 320C to heat the solder even on big wire or ground plane with no thermal coupling. so why do a new Hakko 888D  need 350C ?

sorry if you only know Fahrenheit !
I Program with Solder

Offline MasterBuilder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2014, 05:00:54 pm »
I have a Aoyue int2702A+. The soldering iron is awkward to use, and dosent feel well balanced in the hand. Also temperature adjustment is poor due to the crap buttons used. I chose to buy it because of its soldering iron extraction sytem which was important to me due to working in poorly ventilated workshop. Good things about it are all the large amount of different features in one unit. That Aoyue 968 looks better to me due to the knob for temperature adjustment, also the soldering iron looks like a better design.

In work I use a Hakko 936 which handles a lot better, has very stable temperature control, wide availability of spare parts and all this after years of hard use.

If I was purchasing again I would get something from Hakko and rig up some extraction system.

Offline jay

• Regular Contributor
  • Coder
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2014, 07:59:06 am »
I wonder how many of the Hakko fans have ever used a high end JBC? Or Ersa or Weller?

I admit I've never tried a Hakko 888. I have difficulty believing it can match the far more expensive and newer irons from JBC or Ersa.
SW engineer trying to design HW because it's more fun.

Offline PChi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2014, 01:18:45 pm »
I think that it is necessary to consider the application. I had a Weller TCP iron for many years and for through hole components and old style PCBs with no large ground planes and was happy. I have previously used old Hakko irons and they were OK for surface mount and relatively fine pitch components. I guess a Hakko 888 falls into that category.

With 0402 surface mount components and ground planes then the expensive irons like the JBC or Metcal with low thermal resistance between the heat source and the tip are needed.
Hakko have released the FX-100 that uses an induction heater. Possibly using similar technology to Metcal.

For home use it's worth considering long term spares availability. A Tenma hot air station wasn't that controllable and outlasted the warranty but didn't have a huge amount of use at work before dying. My Weller survived well over two decades so price / year is very low. I have now passed it on to a nephew.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2014, 03:58:18 pm »
I wonder how many of the Hakko fans have ever used a high end JBC? Or Ersa or Weller?

I admit I've never tried a Hakko 888. I have difficulty believing it can match the far more expensive and newer irons from JBC or Ersa.

Buy a soldering iron or station that meets your needs, and at a price you can afford. I use my Hakko station for all types of soldering. Is it the finest in the world? No, but it works great for me, and the price was within my budget. I like it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf