Author Topic: TI sample orders--line items, total cost, quantity of each device, time interval  (Read 2041 times)

Offline dadlerTopic starter

• Supporter
Hi all-

As of late- How often, and in what quantity (both number of line items, and duplicity of each line item), can once place TI sample orders and not be considered misusing the sample system?

I just placed my first sample request, to support an upcoming project. It was approved and shipped. I ordered 5 different items, 2x of each except for 4x of one line item (cheap part). Most expensive part was a $5 instrumentation amplifier (x2). Total cost of all parts requested was approximately $30.

Is this considered acceptable use of the system? How often is it acceptable to make such sample requests--say you realize a certain part will not work, or decide to add an additional system to your design that warrants more part evaluation?

An aside on samples + purchasing parts at the same time: I wanted a couple units of a particular op-amp, but TI did not offer samples on the part. I added 2x of these to my order, and it added a $7 shipping charge (though with just samples in the order, the shipping was free). This seems a little strange? I removed the op-amps from my order, and included them with my next Mouser order to save shipping.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
It doesnt really matter how many samples you order. What matters is,
1. you are a student, and this is for university work.
2. you are an engineer, and this is for a design/evaluation, with a potential order in the future.
Manufacturers will send you freebie demo boards with a list price more than 200 USD, if they know that you will likely use it. Samples are there, so an engineer can get something free, so no management approval, extra ordering overhead, extra time and such is needed.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Over the years I ordered samples very infrequently from them and I never had a refusal. However, I have heard about folks abusing the system in the past and got refused somewhere about the 10th order of everything maxed out (IIRC it was eight different items and one through four units of each item).

However, they revamped their entire system and added the option to order parts directly, therefore I am unsure if the old limits are still valid.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
Over the years, they've reduced the max. qty. per line item you can order.  Other parts, they've taken totally off the sample list.

It's those damn audiophools abusing their free sample service. 

Several years ago, one company called and emailed me first to verify I'm a real company. Spoke to them on phone and pointed them to my website/online store and also emailed them back a screenshot of the PCB design I'm currently working on using their part.  Samples approved and shipped overnight.

Offline dadlerTopic starter

• Supporter
I was limited to 5x per item, but didn't request the max as I didn't really need that many parts.

I am ordering with my business name, email, and shipping address. I was honest about my intended use for the parts (automotive control device) when asked during the ordering process. I do intend to use the parts on real projects, but I am only a hobbyist myself--my business isn't related to electronic design.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf