Author Topic: Timer for light  (Read 1375 times)

Offline dekiblueTopic starter

Timer for light
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:54:28 pm »
I'm not sure if here is the right place to post this question but since I'm a beginner this seems like right forum group.

My wife constantly forgets to switch off the bathroom light, it drives me crazy  |O

So I'd like to make/buy a timer that will switch the light off automatically after 2 minutes (or adjustable amount of minutes).
I assume that in this scenario I'll have to put a push button switch.

Any ideas on how to make this (or where to buy it)?

Thanks

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Timer for light
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 10:56:37 pm »
I don't know if this applies to your country, but here in virtually any hardware store you can buy occupancy sensors that install in place of a light switch and turn the light off after a period of time. You can also get timers intended for bathroom vent fans that could just as easily be used to control a light. In either case you should be sure that the delay is long enough that the light doesn't shut off while you're in the shower or on the can.

The following users thanked this post: dekiblue

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 11:38:39 pm »
It looks like the Dominican Republic uses 120V 60Hz, if the boxes are the same dimension as US/canada electrical fittings, something like

https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-FD6HW-6-Hour-Spring-Loaded-Auto-off/dp/B003A3ZUCW?th=1&psc=1 may be of interest, they can be had anywhere from 30 minute to 6 hr maximum.  You can also get variations with pushbutton that default to a certain amount of time, or can be overridden. 

Hopefully a local hardware store should have some sort of timer switch available. A mechanical one like the twist one should be a drop-in replacement for a normal switch as long as the cover plate isn't an issue. (I.e. Replacing 1 switch in a dual gang box, the included cover plate with scale won't work)  A push button one may or may not need a neutral connection, which might not be present in the box with a switch.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:20:35 pm »
Yes, Dominican Republic uses 120v 60Hz.

The device you suggest is not really what I'm looking for: it starts from minimum 30 min and it's not a simple switch.

Occupancy sensor looks promising. I'm wondering where could I install it as the bathroom does not have lowered ceiling.

Thanks,

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:30:33 pm »
The problem with occupancy sensors is that they need to be positioned so they can "see" where people are so switch location is an important factor.  The timers (twist or button to activate) are forgiving in that aspect. The button ones are better than the twist ones - twist runs on a spring which can wear out.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
How about this? I hope you can get a similar thing in your location.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Energy-Saving-Time-Lag-Light-Switch-Pneumatic-Timer-Delay-White-/351373007108

Unfortunately they wouldn't be allowed in UK bathrooms because they don't have an adequate IP rating or a pull-cord, but I doubt the wiring regulations are as stringent, where you live.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 04:55:31 pm »
Occupancy sensors are available which install in place of a light switch on the wall, the ceiling doesn't matter.

Offline frog_jr

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 06:59:00 pm »
We have used IR occupancy sensors in our bathrooms. It has been great for the kids: walk in, light turns on; walk out, light turns off (with user settable delay)...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUZWQYM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AC2MA79QQ8JEG&psc=1

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 08:03:33 pm »
This pneumatic switch looks interesting too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf