Author Topic: LCD Monitor PSU  (Read 1469 times)

Offline giammyzannaTopic starter

• Contributor
LCD Monitor PSU
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:44:59 am »
Hello, this is my first post here and I believe this is a very easy question.
I have attached a schematic of an lcd monitor power supply. I have two different monitors but they have a VERY similiar primary side. Basically they won't power on, no standby, no nothing. The caps seem good at a glance.
The first thing I did was to check the fuse and it's open (on both monitors) so I decided to replace it on the acer (I had only bigger fuses lying around, the one that was on the monitor was rated 4A) and as soon as I plugged it in the NTC on the other side popped (so the braker did) so I stopped there.
First of all what is that NTC doing there, I know it's a temperature sensor so I can't see the use of it.
Second, the dell monitor I think is pretty much the same so I decided to not do anything before anyone more skilled than me can help.
Any ideas on what to check for?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
Re: LCD Monitor PSU
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 03:45:40 am »
First off those circuits are EMI filters and surge protection.Reducing noise into your system.There only part of the supply.If your blowing fuses then theirs a problem deeper in after the rectifier.That NTC is a negative temperature coefficient thermistor .It decreases resistance as the temperature increases.That is use as a surge suppressor. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:29:08 am by Jwillis »

Offline 0xfede

• Regular Contributor
Re: LCD Monitor PSU
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:41:29 am »
Hi giammyzamma, the NTC is there to limit the inrush current caused by fast charging of the big electrolytic CAP after the bridge rectifier.
If your NTC blowed up you have probably a short circuit on the switching device. Other possible causes are the bridge, the rectifiers after the flyback transformer or the load itself.

Best,
0xfede
Semel in anno licet insanire.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf