Author Topic: Transformer help  (Read 3384 times)

Offline DuWongTopic starter

Transformer help
« on: January 04, 2017, 06:02:08 pm »
Need help with this transformer I just picked up...
Transformers in text book are easy but here's the real thing and I don't understand why there is 4 connection on each coil.
Unless there is 2 coils each? But why would they be wired up that way?
Also how would I tell which is primary or secondary? How would I find the turns ratio?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Transformer help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 06:19:56 pm »
It is very common to have two primary windings and two secondary windings.  This allow the primary voltage to be 120 or 240, for example.  The secondary could be 12V at X amps or 24V at X/2 amps or the secondaries could be entirely different like the old vacuum tube transformers with 12V for filament voltage and some much higher voltage for the plate circuit.

Nothing unusual

http://solderman.dapj.com/2005/09/transformers-series-and-parallel.html

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 06:30:42 pm »
So in my case I have 120 VAC and would want the primary to be wired in parallel? What would happen if it was in series?

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:44:38 pm »
If you wire it in series the secondary voltage would be the half of the voltage you get if you wire them in serial

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 06:54:25 pm »
From your pictures, it already has paralleled primary and secondary.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:07:21 pm »
Okay I think I understand now, so if the primary is in series then the turns is double? And same for the other side?
So if I want to step down a lot I should have primary in series and secondary in parallel? Would this yield the lowest voltage step down?

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:11:18 pm »
Okay I think I understand now, so if the primary is in series then the turns is double? And same for the other side?
So if I want to step down a lot I should have primary in series and secondary in parallel? Would this yield the lowest voltage step down?

No. The primary should be wired for your mains voltage, which you mentioned is 120 VAC. Leave the wiring as it is. Turns/iron/copper is optimized for this.

You can play around with the secondary, getting either one voltage with the windings in parallel, or double that voltage with them in series. Or even two floating/independent supplies, which can be useful.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 09:53:08 pm »
Best to test a transformer on line power with a 60W lamp in series.  If power is applied in this method to a 24V winding or two parallel windings out of phase, the lamp will glow as the transformer saturates and just turns into a resistor or out of phase windings short each other.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 10:55:42 pm »
Best to test a transformer on line power with a 60W lamp in series.  If power is applied in this method to a 24V winding or two parallel windings out of phase, the lamp will glow as the transformer saturates and just turns into a resistor or out of phase windings short each other.
That's a good idea but beware of potentially high voltages (possibly much higher than the mains voltage) on other windings.

Offline orolo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 11:08:20 pm »
To test a transformer the guetto way, with little peril and power, get a synchronous motor (like the one rotating the plate in a microwave) and use it as a low voltage, low frequency AC generator. Put one voltmeter at each winding under test, and gently rotate the shaft with the help of pliers. Not very precise, but you get an idea of which is primary, secondary and the turns ratio.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 11:21:44 pm »
With only #'ed terminals the only way to be sure is to have a spec sheet, the maker and model # is clearly visible on the laminations, Google them.

Should you still draw a blank there may some little guidance on this page:
http://www.radioremembered.org/xfmr.htm
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 12:13:22 am »
May disapoint, but it seems insolation transformer with turns ratio 1:1. wire colors are same on both winding terminals and winding wire diameters are identical gauge.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:31:30 am by strawberry »

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:23:31 am »

The answers to your questions are yes and yes.  It would provide the greatest step-down ratio.  This arrangement would have the greatest turns ratio from primary to secondary.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 02:31:18 am »
Thanks for the help every thus far.
So how much current could flow through the primary with no load on the secondary?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 02:39:38 am »
Thanks for the help every thus far.
So how much current could flow through the primary with no load on the secondary?
Who know what the magnetizing current will be, if you select the wrong connections you might destroy the transformer and at best trip your circuit breaker.

Do what Seekonk suggested in reply #7.
It's called a Dim Bulb tester, Google it.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 02:41:14 am »
Thanks will do.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 02:58:14 am »
If you use the 'lamp in series' test it's worth underlining that it must be a good old fashioned incandescent lamp, not a modern compact fluorescent or LED lamp. That's understood by the old hands, but a beginner could quite easily think "a lamp's a lamp".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf